issue with newsbin 6 and incompletes

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

issue with newsbin 6 and incompletes

Postby mednzb » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:21 pm

I have a secondary filer bock account to fill incomplete with my usenet provider. Newsbin 6 when the articles are downloading you can see the incomplete files but at the end of the download newsbin 6 auto assembles the files so you can no longer see I what files are incomplete. I have too redownload the entire artical with my filler server enabled I want to see if the par files can repair file and use my fill server as little as possible thats why I just don't want leave it on all the time
mednzb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/05/05

Re: issue with newsbin 6 and incompletes

Postby DThor » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:19 am

Set the server as a 'fill' server and it will only download from there if pieces are missing on the primary server. That way you can just leave it enabled all the time.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:02 am

Yeah, the other option is to set Newsbin to never auto-assemble files too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mednzb » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:40 pm

DThor wrote:Set the server as a 'fill' server and it will only download from there if pieces are missing on the primary server. That way you can just leave it enabled all the time.

DT

Like I said if pars can repair the file I rather have them do it rather than use up all my bandwidth on my fill server I can't see how many blocks i will need until after the download is finished do you see what i am saying about not leaving fill server enabled? in version 5 i could set to send them all to failed calum and i could download just the missing parts of that file with my fill server and keep repeating until I had just enough for pars to be able to repair it you can't do it that way with version 6. leaving fill server enabled all the time would just use up my bandwidth when Parity files might be able too take care of it
mednzb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:07 pm

OK, well that wasn't clear at all, I see now you're saying that you think that there are many times when you have *just* enough pars to repair a post without hitting your fill. I find that somewhat hard to believe, but nonetheless it sounds like you want to micromanage the process, sure you can do that. I'd just shut off the fill altogether, whatever is left in the queue when it's done downloading, you'll want to re-enable the fill and continue. Wouldn't that be the least time consuming and not require you constantly monitoring and fiddling with things?

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby leftovers » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:08 pm

If I follow your logic correctly you want to really manage the dl and par process more manually.

I would suggest that by utilizing fill servers and the autopar that you would get far better performance and less wasted retrys and few par file downloads using NBP than manually.

NBP will grab what it needs only to complete any par recovery. The fill servers allow it to pull missing parts first prior to any par recovery file which usually speeds up dl and part build and rar extraction....
leftovers
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/23/06

Postby Quade » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:27 pm

[SETTINGS]
AutoAssembleTimer=50000

If you add this line to the settings sections of the NBI file, it won't ever autoassemble files till you manually tell it to.

You can edit it with wordpad.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mednzb » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:02 pm

Quade wrote:[SETTINGS]
AutoAssembleTimer=50000

If you add this line to the settings sections of the NBI file, it won't ever autoassemble files till you manually tell it to.

You can edit it with wordpad.

thanks that what i needed
mednzb
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support