Disabling AutoRAR causes problems?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Disabling AutoRAR causes problems?

Postby Draylor » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:17 pm

Ive been using the V6 betas for a while, and the vast majority of my downloads werent being removed from the download list properly upon completion. All along I just assumed this was something that wasnt properly wired up yet. Then we reached the RCs and today the final release build and I realise its most likely a bug triggered by something unusual in my setup - since it clearly works for others.

I have AutoPar enabled, but do not use AutoRAR. (so on options/AutoPAR options the only selected tickbox is "When deleting use the recycle bin")

Rar sets download but are never removed from the download list automatically, regardless of whether the downloads are perfect or require repairing.

Enabling AutoRAR appears to give the intended behaviour. The only discussion of this I can find on the forums is here from back in March which is when things were changing fairly rapidly in the betas, and never seemed to reach any conclusion of what the correct behaviour would be. From my point of view files should only remain in the download list if they are still downloading or there is a problem (insufficient pars etc). A successful download that I do not wish automatically unrar'd is complete so does not belong there - Newsbin has completed its task.

2 other related minor points:

1. The status of downloads in this state doesnt appear to be remembered across restarts, so each rar will attempt to download again the next time Newsbin is started up, only being marked complete when the first segment completes and the duplicate detector catches it. Maybe its a problem worth fixing, maybe it isnt, but its likely worth a mention.

2. If an NZB contains a rarset + pars along with an avi + pars 3 items are added to the download list; RAR+par, the avi, and the pars for the avi. Even with AutoRAR enabled only the RAR+par download is ever automatically removed from the download list. Id have expected 2 entries on the download list, with both being automatically removed upon successful download regardless of AutoRAR being enabled or not.

Example screenshots/NZBs/whatever is useful available on request.
Draylor
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/24/05

Re: Disabling AutoRAR causes problems?

Postby itimpi » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:27 pm

With the settings you describe, I would expect the items to remain in the Download list waiting for you to decide what manual action to take after download has completed.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Draylor » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:40 am

Why?

My request to Newsbin has been "download this and check the PARs, repairing if necessary". That procedure has completed, successfully.

Having it remain in the download list is nonsense, having it attempt to redownload files/etc is even sillier. Its also a backwards step when compared to v5.
Draylor
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:55 am

Well, the answer is "because that's how it works". If you want to request changes for 6.1 then I'll note it but, that's how 6 works.

You have a couple choices

1- Use 6 and delete the files from the download list from time to time

2 - Continue to use 5.59
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Draylor » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:59 am

Ill write something up for the feature requests forum then, I assume thats the best place for it?
Draylor
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:02 am

You could post it here. It doesn't matter. I note it in my notes and then I'll never see this post again.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Draylor » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:12 am

In that case please consider the 3 points in the first post as feature requests for the future & I'll go back to being a happy user for another few years.

Cheers
Draylor
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:51 am

- 1, that's how it works. It checks every file in the download list on restart to make sure it's still there. Ideally, you won't keep downloaded files in the download list.

- 2 Email an example to ts at newsbin dot com. With autopar turned on and the pars split out, the order the pars download is significant. If a set finishes downloading before the par downloads, it might not connect them together. I suspect that's what you're seeing. It is an area that can be improved. Autopar will never be 100% so, some manual messing with will always be required in oddball cases.

- 3 I assume what you want is the ability to have it remove items from the download list after repair/validation but, not unrar.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Draylor » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:06 pm

1. That just feels like strange behaviour. If thats what you intend then fine, but it doesnt make much sense to me.
If fewer (ideally 0) files become stuck in the download list without good reason then this is unimportant.

2. Ok, mail sent. I had believed that the .par2 files (not repair blocks, obviously) were always the first things to be downloaded. In that way it should be possible for Autopar to connect files to their parsets in the vast majority of cases. There will always be mangled posts where files are missing etc, but for complete posts with valid pars Im not clear on why problems should be expected.

3. Yup, thats exactly what I would expect to have happen if AutoPAR is enabled but AutoRAR is not.
Draylor
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support