V6 layout

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

V6 layout

Postby Angelus » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:55 pm

I'm having trouble with V6 layout I get it the way I want it which is like this - http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p291/MrAngelus/NBP/nbplayout1.png and lock it into place

then I close NBP & reopen & load a group &the post window is basically off screen like this - http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p291 ... layout.png

NBP is running as administrator so am I doing something wrong here?
Angelus
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/06/10

Re: V6 layout

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:06 pm

Got to unhide the search tab and leave it wherever you want the post lists to show up.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Angelus » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:17 pm

Thanks I was hiding the search tab since I don't use the built in search
didn't know that in order for that out to work had to be open

Thanks! :)
Angelus
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/06/10

Postby TrotskyIcepick » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:55 pm

Angelus, how did you get your layout to look like in your first screenshot? I've been fiddling for ages and can't get it right.

Thanks
TrotskyIcepick
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/21/06

Postby TrotskyIcepick » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Ahh, figured it out, make the windows dockable then drag them.
TrotskyIcepick
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/21/06

Postby Jaffo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:24 pm

First thing I did was hide the search tab and then got the same problem. Is this classed as a bug? Will it be fixed? I don't like having the search tab when I don't use it.
Jaffo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/27/10

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:46 pm

Don't do it and no.

I classify this as "that's how it works".

You know you can search without a subscription right? You just can't add files to download without a sub. Say you want to see if something was posted and/or see what group it was posted to.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Jaffo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:44 pm

Sorry but it just seems pointless having a hide feature which you cant use because it affects the way the rest of the program works.
I use a FREE web based search engine with NZB download.
Jaffo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby thuvia » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:48 pm

I want to hide the search tab too when I'm not using it.

One of my common workflows is to load a bunch of NZBs (in separate tabs), check them out visually, closing the ones I don't want, then do a whole batch of Ctrl-A, Ctrl-E, Close (although that's always been RSI-inducing, I never got around to optimising keyboard shortcuts if that was possible in V5). If the search tab is still there, I end up adding the entire content to my downloads... :(

It doesn't help that in NewsBin 6 Ctrl-A doesn't seem to work for me until I use the darned mouse to focus on the pane. Or that the tabs now reduce to tiny close Xs only (no scrolling any more).
thuvia
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/01/06

Postby ozzie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:37 am

I had my "Window Positions' exactly where I want them, I thought a V6 upgrade was supposed to keep all your old config settings?
After the upgrade nothing was where I want it, so fiddled for ages and couldn't get it the way I want, even tried floating stuff and placing them but after saving the config and closing everything was back to the default when I opened up again!

When you go into 'options' in v5 there is a "Window Positions' section where you tell it where you want things, I can't find it anymore, has that been removed?
ozzie
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/06/07

Postby itimpi » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:16 am

ozzie wrote:When you go into 'options' in v5 there is a "Window Positions' section where you tell it where you want things, I can't find it anymore, has that been removed?

The UI for V6 is completely redesigned and now works differently so all the old settings were no longer appropriate. You now have far more layout options. The option under Settings has therefore gone.

Dexter produce a video on how you can set up the layout to suit your prefered way of working.

One tip - make sure you do NOT hide the Search tab. Post lists open up in the same area of the UI as the Search tab - if you hide it they end up floating.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby ozzie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:17 am

Well I give up, I've just spent hours fiddling and trying to get things where I want them and failed.
All this floating and docking auto hide etc etc is unnecessary to me, I have things exactly where I want them in v5 with the simple window positions option, so it looks like I'm staying with v5
Losing a nice simple option like that is not an improvement to me, it's too big a loss.

When I first found Newsbin I found it so easy to configure I loved it and bought it, if I was trying it now for the first time I certainly wouldn't be buying it, it's become far too unnecessarily complicated!
There is way too much concern with making things flash & fancy these days, v5 has worked for ages and is very very good, all that had to be done was tune the engine, not give it a total makeover.

JMHO
ozzie
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby thuvia » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:04 am

Actually, I think that the dragging and docking (direct manipulation) should be an improvement to the user interface, since it's a shared metaphor (common among Windows applications due to "standard" UI toolkits), rather than specific to NewsBin's old way of telling it to lay out components in an "indirect" way).

If it actually works, that is...

(Implementation bugs are different from UI design flaws.)
thuvia
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Jaffo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:31 am

What happened the the options we really wanted like Scheduled downloads and yes I know there is a third party app but its not exactly ideal. I thought this was the type of thing we where promised for new versions, maybe version 7? Apart from a facelift I cant really see anything new, its still as slow!
Jaffo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:50 am

Jaffo wrote: Apart from a facelift I cant really see anything new, its still as slow!

What exactly do you mean by "Still as Slow"?

This is not my experience. Loading headers into Post Lists is dramatically faster for me in large groupd. In terms of downloads I find I can still max out my connection even when AutoPar is busy - in v5 this was not true. Also I believe that in performance test Quade has achieved max throughput 3-4 times above faster than newsbin v5 top speed.
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby ozzie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Jaffo wrote:What happened the the options we really wanted like Scheduled downloads and yes I know there is a third party app but its not exactly ideal. I thought this was the type of thing we where promised for new versions, maybe version 7? Apart from a facelift I cant really see anything new, its still as slow!

While I had it installed and couldn't get the layout how I wanted I had a poke around before giving up, and that's what I think, mainly it's a facelift!
I couldn't see anything really new, certainly nothing I would bother using anyway... :(
Until there's something new that's so good I would bother using it I'll stay with v5
ozzie
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby itimpi » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:09 pm

ozzie wrote:
Jaffo wrote:While I had it installed and couldn't get the layout how I wanted I had a poke around before giving up, and that's what I think, mainly it's a facelift!
I couldn't see anything really new, certainly nothing I would bother using anyway... :(
Until there's something new that's so good I would bother using it I'll stay with v5

Well the internals were re-written from scratch and now operate very differently so it was much more than a facelift.

However if v5 suits you then I see no reason not to stick with it.
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Jaffo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:12 pm

We can see that it operates differently but what is the new "must have" in this version? Why none of the feature which have been talk about for ages? I was really looking forward to a new version with maybe a few new features.
Jaffo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby thuvia » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:31 pm

The "must have" is that V6 will get bug fixes.

(Apologies for the cynicism, but that's primarily what's making me attempt to stick with it so far.)

Undoubtedly the rewrite was needed to give the UI code a more modern framework capable of moving forward (at least until Microsoft moves the goalposts again). The question is whether the V6 release, despite its time in coming, was still a bit early since there doesn't appear to be feature parity with V5.59 yet (but it can be argued that it needed to be marked as considered stable enough for a wider set of non-beta users, such as myself, to have a go with it).

I'm sure that over time we'll get back to where we're all happy with it, just as we've become accustomed to a steady progression of performance enhancements over the years. That's why I'm attempting to chip in with as-positive-as-I -can-make-it criticism during my minor tribulations. :)
thuvia
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Jaffo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Don't get me wrong I love the look of the new version and also liked the idea of hiding unused tabs but then found if you hide the search tab you get problems.
If it wasn't for that one thing I would of maybe said how great it was even with out any extra functionality. It just made me look at it in a different light. but then you can't please everyone.
Jaffo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support