stalled downloads

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

stalled downloads

Postby thuvia » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:41 am

I just turned on AutoPAR again (don't say I'm not giving it enough chances to prove its worth!), and have a bunch of downloads stalled, no significant disk activity, but a couple of critical errors:

ERROR - Failed to Move file to final destination - Shouldn't happen

It's possible that two of the downloads have files of the same name. My normal way of dealing this without AutoPAR is to let NewsBin download both files, one with added suffix, then run QuickPar on one set, letting it rename any files as necessary, moving stuff to the desired folder, and repeat with the second set. This isn't uncommon, but not common enough for me to want every download to have its own folder (this is in cases where I'm downloading from post lists rather than NZBs, where they do get their own folder).

Is this causing AutoPAR grief?
thuvia
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/01/06

Re: stalled downloads

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:32 am

ERROR - Failed to Move file to final destination - Shouldn't happen

Suggests something is preventing Newsbin from renaming the files. Having the files on disk shouldn't impact this because, with auto-rename turned on, the other files should have already been renamed at this point. If quickpar has the files open at the same time, that might cause problems.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby thuvia » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:46 am

No, QuickPar didn't have anything open - in fact, at the time of the error, I hadn't even ventured into that folder since NewsBin had created it (I delete my per-GoG download folders whenever I empty them).
thuvia
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:58 am

You could run Procmon and monitor disk IO in newsbin looking for errors. Something prevented the rename. These were actual files and not just text posts right? Text posts might give you this error because there's nothing to rename.

Most of the time this is caused by a virus scanner or firewall blocking the rename.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby thuvia » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:59 am

By the way, it was just (unneeded) PAR files it was stalled on. QuickPar fixed up the file names as usual (no incompletes by this stage), so I just deleted the stalled downloads with nothing lost.

Turned off AutoPAR yet again, I'll live with the unneeded (but trouble-free) PAR downloads as the lesser evil for the time being...
thuvia
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby thuvia » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:04 am

MSE seems to be less prone to interfering with useful applications than some other AV products.

If I can ever be bothered giving AutoPAR yet another shot and see this again, I'll dig out procmon and investigate.
thuvia
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support