Multiple search tabs?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Multiple search tabs?

Postby RayMark » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:13 pm

Probably it should go to the wish list, not much hope that I just don't know how to launch them.
I am trying to add 2nd search tab but it is not working.

I would like to keep multiple search tabs open with local searches as they sometimes take rather long to complete, but also two search tabs for the same search could be very useful: one - local search, the other one - from your server.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Re: Multiple search tabs?

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:23 pm

How about if I let any tab do searching? Say you open up a post list with a GOG and you want to do a local search there. I've been thinking it would be nice if any tab could use search. The other option is load the whole thing into memory and search it. That's the fastest way.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby RayMark » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:22 pm

It is less important how the search is launched - from the group tab or separately (although from the group tab - more convenient).

But the following things might be desirable:
1. to be able to run local search in a single group, not only in a group of groups (launching local search in an open tab seems to imply it)
2. it still would be convenient to be able to keep the original opened group tab and multiple search tabs in that group (i.e, when launching a search in a group - open a new tab?)
3. I'm not sure if you want to run the local search in all the headers or only in the open date range.
Both varieties might be useful:
a) in all the headers - I find something in the open range and search for all the occurrences of it in all the headers
b) in the same range only - I know what range I need, and by running a local search I can get a possibility to instantly narrow down the search additionally - still better than the current search in the open range.

And the internet search will still be available (in all the groups, for example), even when local searches are launched from some open group tabs, I assume.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:30 pm

2. it still would be convenient to be able to keep the original opened group tab and multiple search tabs in that group (i.e, when launching a search in a group - open a new tab?)

If you just load the whole group there won't really be any delays between searches. Just say'in....
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby RayMark » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:54 pm

With 6.0 it is probably possible.
Previously some groups were too large to attempt loading the whole group.

Still, I have some pretty large groups grouped together to make loading the whole thing more difficult
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby RayMark » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:10 pm

BTW, it is probably a bug in 6.0 search:

When using search (local - but probably any?) and then instantly narrowing down the search results by a new word typed over, if this new word is removed (the field becomes empty)
the search results remain narrowed down. It is necessary to enter at least one letter of the original search string, for example, to get the wider results back.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:44 pm

Or you can clear the search using the clear button, the nuke looking thing.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support