Slow Download

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Slow Download

Postby gregorywannab » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:07 pm

I looked at some of the other posts with references to slow downloads but didn't find anything that seemed to apply to me. I hope I'm correct.

I upgraded, keeping my settings and my groups came through but the auto mode was not on. I highlighted my groups (24), set them to Auto Mode and I saw the headers start to download, slowly. I would have liked to have been able to specify: download the most recent 2000 headers, for example, but I don't believe that I can. Therefore, some of the groups showed 100k headers or more. During the header download I expected the files appearing in the Download List to actually be downloaded in the same way that V5 worked. Instead, the Download List is incrementing very slowly (after 4 hours or so it is up to 200k) and the actual number of files appearing in the download directory is about 20 so far. Failed Downloads is only reporting 19.

I am getting a long series of logging error messages: Unable to Convert Server Name to Internet address - this appears now but that was not the case earlier.

I exited fron Newsbin and re-loaded it once without any change.

any suggestions?
gregorywannab
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/03

Re: Slow Download

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:01 am

Unable to Convert Server Name to Internet address -

- You need to fix this. You could cut and paste the whole line here for me to see.

- You can tell Newsbin how many days of headers to download. For example, you could set it "Download Age" to 2. . It's probably too late now that you've actually started a header download. You know, header download connections aren't available to download files so, while it's downloading headers, your files will just queue up.

There are some tricks you can play to download files with some connections and headers with some connections. Might want to thing about doing that. You basically make a copy of your server in Newsbin, give it a new name "Headers" maybe. Then give it 2 connections and make it a master server. Then take 2 connections away from the old server and make it a "Slave". That'll let you download files and headers simultaneously.

What kind of machine is this? Inserting the headers is somewhat intensive. It might just be slow till you catch up.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support