Upgrade to V6 Problem

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Upgrade to V6 Problem

Postby Tarkus » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:45 am

I just completed the upgrade from version NB600RC3 to the NB600 build 1019. Upon launch all settings are lost, no news servers or any of my groups. The Spool_V6 directories are intact which leads me to wonder if there is a way that I can rebuild the configuration. It isn't a big issue as I have a listing of all the existing groups but I would prefer not to waste the time in a mega group download.

Thanks.

T.
Tarkus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/16/03

Re: Upgrade to V6 Problem

Postby itimpi » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:12 am

Do not know why that should happen!

However if you can find your Newsbin configuration file (.nbi) and launch Newsbin by double-clicking that you may well get back all your settings. If that works it means some software on your machine removed the registry entry that Newsbin uses to track the last-used .nbi file.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Tarkus » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:03 am

In typical fashion I loaded Newsbin and then when I saw the error I assumed it was upgrade related so I of course exited and reloaded which as you know results in the configuration .nbi and .nbi.bak file being over written.

This is not looking good if there is no way to rebuild the config file to incorporate the existing Spool files.
Tarkus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DThor » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:02 am

Back. Up. Your. Configuration.

It already does it once for you automatically, if you're doing something like a major upgrade where you might screw something up, or rapidly start and shutdown a couple times, back it up! Anytime an application takes a nontrivial amount of time to configure, it should be part of your backup regime. Complaining that an application doesn't have an automatic reconfigure ability when you're not doing backups? Really?

Don't mean to sound patronizing, but this computer 101 stuff. I've done it, more than once, but it's a good life lesson. Pointing the finger of blame at the developer? Not cool. Should just be a lesson learned.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Tarkus » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:16 am

Seriously Dthor? My word how posting in any forum brings out the pedantic.

Should I have backed up the NBI file? Absolutely, but after probably some 20+ upgrades since I first purchased this program many a year ago and never once having had a problem I suppose I got lazy. I am not sure where you are getting all this attitude from as I am not complaining about the program but rather admitted fully that by loading and then quitting and then reloading the program I killed both the old config and the back up.

However that said I am just asking if there is a way to rebuild my newsgroup data given that the existing Spool_V6 files are still fine. If not I will simply recreate the groups since I always keep a listing of them and at 25Mb, (well faster with GigaNews accelerator), it won't take long to do a complete rebuild from scratch. At the same time why download gigabytes for no reason if it can be avoided.

If it isn't possible then it isn't possible.. end of story. Just asking a simple question.

T.
Tarkus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:40 am

I don't think DThor had his coffee yet this morning.

You can search your hard drive for the newsbin.nbi configuration file, maybe Newsbin got pointed some place else and created a blank one. There should be one stored in guiitems.db3 and Newsbin should pull from that if it can't find it's configuration for some reason. Might want to try deleting the current (bad) configuration it is trying to use (or rename it) then start Newsbin and see if it will pull an older configuration out of the database.

If all that fails, I can try to walk you though manually extracting the configuration file from the database.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby DThor » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:24 am

I've been called worse...lessee...ah, here it is...apparently I'm "aesthetically impaired".

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby itimpi » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Tarkus wrote:However that said I am just asking if there is a way to rebuild my newsgroup data given that the existing Spool_V6 files are still fine. If not I will simply recreate the groups since I always keep a listing of them and at 25Mb, (well faster with GigaNews accelerator), it won't take long to do a complete rebuild from scratch. At the same time why download gigabytes for no reason if it can be avoided..

I have a feeling that if you are re-doing your configuration and you add a group that already has headers in the Spool_v6 folder then they will just get picked up. You could certainly try this on a group as a test. You can also use the existing contents of that folder to see what groups you were subscribed to.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:41 pm

I have a feeling that if you are re-doing your configuration and you add a group that already has headers in the Spool_v6 folder then they will just get picked up.

This is correct. Add the group back into newsbin and it'll just use the existing ..\Spool_V6\ folder data.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Tarkus » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks for the possible fixes. I will give them a shot and as I said worse case scenario it is just a re-install.

Consider the issue resolved at this point.

T.
Tarkus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support