Some frustrating problems with v6

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Some frustrating problems with v6

Postby Tigrenoruego » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 am

I love the new interface and cooler look of newsbin v6 so i upgraded as soon as it was available, I upgraded from v5.53 (the only previous version that I had been able to work properly). I run Vista 32 bit. 3GB memory, AMD 5000+ 2.60 GHz.

The first irritating factor was that I had to download all the headers from all the groups all over... but anyway done that. When I download files (from Astraweb) the download mostly stops and not all the .nb2 files get transformed into files, they just stay there "forever". When I open to see the subfiles in the download list, many are set to paused? Why? It is so confusing to see the files grouped together in the download list, and then have to open each group to see which files are actually in the cue and their status. And changing their status with the resume button does not make them start downloading. Downloads with v5.53 worked fine (except that the download list did not get stored and reopened when I closed/started 5.53), one of the reasons I wanted to upgrade to v6 to possibly fix that problem.

BTW, where is the tab to see if newbin is decompressing/repairing any of the downloads?

Any suggestions to what I can do?

Suddenly the downloads start again, for some time and then it stops again. Is the downloads stopping because newbin is decompressing files?
Tigrenoruego
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/09/07

Re: Some frustrating problems with v6

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:02 pm

- You didn't have to download the headers over gain.

- If files are incomplete, they sit there for one retry before they assemble themselves and then download any needed pars and repair. You can can manually assemble them from the right click if you're tired of waiting. The files that are paused, the par files, are paused because Newsbin doesn't need them yet. It'll unpause and download them if it needs to. It won't do that though till after the other files are assembled though.

- You can see newsbin repair and unrar right there in the download list. Yellow for repair, Green for unrar.

- Right click properties should show you the current status as long as at least one par file has downloaded.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Tigrenoruego » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:18 pm

you mean I could have renamed the folder from SPOOL_V1 to SPOOL_V6? arghhhh, me stupid!

Thanks for your response, very enlightening! Very smart that it does not download the par files unless they are needed... coool.

What about the color purple? What does it mean then? So green is not the download progress indicator? and manual for v6? pdf or something?

When they are finished downloading, repairing and decompressing, they will disappear from the download list, right?

Thx again!
Tigrenoruego
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/09/07

Postby itimpi » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:26 pm

Tigrenoruego wrote:you mean I could have renamed the folder from SPOOL_V1 to SPOOL_V6? arghhhh, me stupid!

Not quite - Spool_V1 and Spool_v6 store header information nn different formats.

What about the color purple? What does it mean then? So green is not the download progress indicator? and manual for v6? pdf or something?

I believe that is used in the progress bar when downloading a file which has more than a certain number of parts (I think the trigger is around 200). In such a case Newsbin does not color code the segments individually by server, instead it simply keeps a ttrack of the total perentage of the chunks for that file.

When they are finished downloading, repairing and decompressing, they will disappear from the download list, right?

Yes - as long as you are using AutoPar.

If you have disabled autopar then filesets are kept in the Download list to allow you to decide what action to take when download completes. There has been requests to have a setting that removes such files even with Autopar disabled on download completion, but this is not current behavior.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Return to V6 Technical Support