Large number of groups in reading pane

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Large number of groups in reading pane

Postby TrevorRiley » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi

The only 2 things that have annoyed me since v6 beta'd is when you open a large number of groups in the message list window the tabs for each group just get smaller and smaller until you can't see which tab is which, can you have the scroll bar across like v5, trying to cram everything into one screen is fine with a few groups but with a lot it's a real pain.

Secondly, is there a way to fix the column widths in the message list across all groups, so set it on one group and just have all the groups lock to that?

Other than that, cool!
TrevorRiley
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Large number of groups in reading pane

Postby KilJaden » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:15 pm

TrevorRiley wrote:Secondly, is there a way to fix the column widths in the message list across all groups, so set it on one group and just have all the groups lock to that?

Just open a single group , arrange the column sizes the way you want it and click the Save configuration button on the tool-bar : Ctrl+S , or File - Save Configuration
Alternatively you can select the sizes for one group and close Newsbin which saves the changes automatically .
KilJaden
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/17/09

Postby Quade » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:16 pm

- If you open one group, set the columns, then close it. That should set the column sizes for all subsequent post tabs.

How about sticking some of the groups with the same kinds of files into a topic, then load the topic instead of the individual groups? In that way you can have 2-n groups loaded into a single tab? Other than that, what do you suggest? Stacking tabs or something?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby cat_man » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:00 am

I don't mind the groups names getting smaller as more are loaded but you lose the ability to see the record counts too. When you click on a opened group, the name shows in the title bar above. Would it be possible to also display the record count there? Alternatively, how about when you click on an opened group tab it enlarges to show full name and record count.
cat_man
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/08/05

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:07 am

How did 5.59 do it? I've never had that many groups open at once. Is the post tab area using the full width of the screen or do you still have it split between a left and right hand side? I have my groups tab set to autohide so, the posts use the full screen width. The groups tab shrinks itself down when I look at posts.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby cat_man » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:34 pm

I have it split into two panes, but the post tab is 7/8's of the screen. I fill up across the screen with group posts until they compress so you can't read the name or the number of posts. 5.59 was so slow loading headers that I only loaded enough to fill the screen and then waited for newsbin to catch up. 6 is so much faster that I just crank open all the groups, one at a time and then start processing at the beginning. That brings to mind another small request. When group post lists are loaded, the focus is on the last group. When I process the first group and then X to kill it, the focus goes back to the last group. No of these are major problems for me. Success just brings wider use and capabilities.
cat_man
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/08/05

Return to V6 Technical Support