NB2 and queued files

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

NB2 and queued files

Postby MeZelf » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:08 pm

I just moved vrom V5 to V6 and imported the V1 storage.

While picking up a number of older posts I encountered the situation in which I removed posts from the downloadlist (because they didn't matter in hindsight).
After this I cleaned up the already downloaded files and got stuck with NB2 files of the thread.
When I try to delete the NB2 files I get the message that the files are still being used.
I have to exit newsbin in order to be able to delete them.
Is there a 'fix' for this?

The other thing I noticed is that when I queue posts for download that newsbin finds them to be 'old' immediately afterwards.
When I reload the group the posts are marked as old.
Removing the file/thread doesn't 'restore' the old status.
After removing a file from the downloadlist expanding the file the first part is a blue ball, but the other parts have the icon of "File is in the download/scratch list".
But the file isn't on the downloadlist anymore and I understood from another post here that the scratchlist is now the Wish List, but nothing there either.

I checked to be sure that "Auto-Mark Old" is off and it already was.
Is this a changed working within newsbin compared to V5?
In V5 this didn't happen until the file was actually downloaded.

Edit: just checked and this also happens when files are added to the Wishlist.
Also playing TFC and DDR besides doing Anime NGs 25/7/355.
Yes, a day *DOES* have 25 hours.
MeZelf
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/31/03

Re: NB2 and queued files

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:17 pm

#1 - You might be able to prevent NB2's by changing how much of the file Newsbin caches in memory.

[SETTINGS]
MemCacheLimit=500

For example, tells Newsbin to cache files up to 500 megs in length in memory. 100 megs might be a more reasonable number. If you have the RAM for it, this speeds up both downloading and autopar processing.

#2 - that's how it works now. It's proven to be the only reliable way to get "Downloaded" status to work across the board. Essentially, NZB's, search and headers all use a common "Downloaded" database.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby MeZelf » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:34 pm

Added the MemCacheLimit and will see how this works out.

Quade wrote:#2 - that's how it works now. It's proven to be the only reliable way to get "Downloaded" status to work across the board. Essentially, NZB's, search and headers all use a common "Downloaded" database.

But the problem that got created by this is that when you place something on the downloadlist or wishlist you have will to remember which files you added when you remove them from the list.
Let's say you decide that you don't want to download it because you're running out of diskspace.... or you added them by mistake (you intented other files instead).
As it works now you would be in a load of problems because of this because you have to way of seeing what you (as a single user) *did* download or not.

Would it be possible to make this behavior selectable?
In a way, using the Duplicate Database wouldn't have any use anymore other than for forced downloads.

Using 5 anime groups I have 127k files 'new' and about 475k in total so that makes browsing a bit of a pain of course.
(Yes, I am a bit behind.)
MeZelf
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby MeZelf » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:25 am

Guess there is no other option than going back to v5.

I can understand that you want to make it easier for the NZB users, but this isn't working at all for the manual users that manually select and download.
MeZelf
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:46 am

Yeah, no option. Why even add them to the download list if you're not going to download them? They're already stored in the posts list so, it's not like they're going away. If you want to move them out of band of the posts lists, you could move them to a custom list which is basically a virtual group that you can send file information to and load like a regular group. So, for example, you could move them to a custom list, then delete them from the postlists.

Or you can revert to 5.59. It's completely up to you.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby MeZelf » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Quade wrote:Why even add them to the download list if you're not going to download them? They're already stored in the posts list so, it's not like they're going away.

"or you added them by mistake (you intented other files instead)."
I use the status 'downloaded' to determine which posts I have and which I haven't downloaded yet.

Strange.
When adding them to a special list and queueing them from that special list makes that the post remain visible in the group where they are from.
They only get 'removed' (= marked old) after they have actually been downloaded.
Yes, this will somehow work.
No, this is not a pretty thing or way of working. Especially while knowing the underlaying reason.
Afterall: this is workaround.
MeZelf
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to V6 Technical Support