Re-downloads already downloaded files, after restart.

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Re-downloads already downloaded files, after restart.

Postby Thrash911 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:00 am

Hello,

Great product, all in all. Very happy with it! :D

When I have quit NewsBin, then next time I start it up again, it re-downloads files that are already downloaded (files that appear in the "File List" tab). It happens with large binary posts that consist of .rar .r01 .r02 and so on.. It can be slightly annoying (hehe..), when you "only" have a 15mbit line, and it has to download several gigabytes all over again.

I don't know what is wrong. I hope it's not a misunderstanding on my part.. :) I have gone through the settings to see if I could spot some relevant settings for my problem. Under "Advanced", the settings "Save Files List on Exit" and "Save Failed List on Exit" are both ticked.

Sorry for this, and thanks in advance. :wink:

-Brian / denmark
Thrash911
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/29/11

Re: Re-downloads already downloaded files, after restart.

Postby itimpi » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:18 am

It does not redownload the whole file - it downloads the first chunk to check that what is on disk is the same as the file in the Download list. Therefore there is an overhead, but not as much as you feared. i find that on my 10Mb line Newsbin very quickly catches up to where it was.

I must admit that I would prefer that it did not even download the first part, but I assume that with the redisgn of the way that the download engine workscurrently that is the only way that Newsbin can 'catch up' to where it was at the time you closed it down. I have no idea whether Quade has plans to improve on this in some way.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:24 am

When I have quit NewsBin, then next time I start it up again, it re-downloads files that are already downloaded (files that appear in the "File List" tab). It happens with large binary posts that consist of .rar .r01 .r02 and so on.. It can be slightly annoying (hehe..), when you "only" have a 15mbit line, and it has to download several gigabytes all over again.

Has it already left the download list or is it still in the download list compacted together with another set of files? It's basically what D is saying, it downloads one chunk then validates the file through autopar and then declares the file "Downloaded" and moves on. Biggest changes across the board in Newsbin is to make autopar more reliable. This change was part of that. It's the same mechanism that allows you to download a couple rars to sample and then when you add the whole set, it doesn't re-download the ones you already sampled. It just checks them and moves on.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Thrash911 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:04 am

They reappeared in the download list. But I guess it's just temporary then? :oops: Okay, maybe I shouldn't worry about it so much.

Thanks a lot for speedy replies!
Thrash911
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/29/11

Postby BillyUK » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:27 am

I am having a similar problem.
I have a set of 6 par files totaling 130MB that re-appears as soon as Newsbin starts.
These files have been downloaded and the Download list is clear on exit of Newsbin and even if I leave the files in the download directory they do NOT show as duplicates.
So as soon as Newsbin starts I have to go to the download list and remove the files before they download again :(
BillyUK
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/19/06

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:32 am

Suggests your download list DB is broken and Newsbin can't delete these files from it. I'd delete the downloads.db3 which will wipe the download, wish and failed list.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby BillyUK » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:44 am

Thanks Quade
That fixed it :)
BillyUK
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/19/06

Return to V6 Technical Support