Trouble deleting large number of headers

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Trouble deleting large number of headers

Postby dane » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi

I recently switched to v6.0 build 1019. I was having some trouble with a group, so I deleted it, re-added it, and then imported the v5.xxx headers. When I tried to download the latest headers, it though latest meant 80 million headers. So I stopped that process and used download special to d/l 5 million headers. 2 problems:

1) it seems to have started with the most distant headers first (a couple of hundred days ago) so it would seem that limiting the d/l to a smaller amount wouldn't help;

2) when those headers finished I tried to delete some of them (Shift/delete), but the number of headers listed on the tab seemed to remain the same. When I looked at the bottom of the listing, there was a large number of entries which had the word "Deleted" in every field. They weren't removed from the group, just filled with the word "Deleted".

So, can I just d/l, say, the last 30 days of headers, and how can I remove these headers from the group.

tia,
Da Dane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/05

Re: Trouble deleting large number of headers

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:31 pm

What are you trying to accomplish at this point? Just download N days worth of headers? Do you care if the imported ones get deleted?

Easy button is right click the group, post storage, delete stored posts. Then set a download age that tells newsbin how many days you want.

Slightly harder, if you've already imported to within a couple days of current, set the download age to "10" then delete the range.db3 for the group and then "Download latest". It'll download the last 10 days worth.

Range.db3 tracks the group. Deleting it reverts to "Download Age". Purging the whole group also reverts to "Download Age".
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby dane » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks. Yes, that worked. I also noted all the spool_v1 files which I'll now delete. Seem to be back on track.

While I've got your attention, I miss the "hide old" radio button. Otherwise, V6 seems quite nice.

Thanks for it, and for the help
Da Dane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/05

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:11 pm

Ctrl-H will toggle hide old too. Ctrl-J will toggle "Show Filenames.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support