par files not downloading

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

par files not downloading

Postby oferlaor » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:30 am

I still don't get the idea behind PAR files not downloading when the software has nothing better to do.

I download an incomplete NZB. It stays there and PAR files simply don't download, they remain paused forever or until I manually release them.

If the software's done and the files don't decode, why on earth wouldn't it start DLing the PAR files?
oferlaor
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/21/06

Re: par files not downloading

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:47 am

It will, once the incomplete files assemble. They'll assemble when they get old enough or when you manually right click and assemble the incompletes.

I'm sure it can use some adjusting but, there's a fine line between people bitching about downloading too many pars and it waiting to long for the files to become complete and then downloading pars.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby oferlaor » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:24 am

the question is, why wait if nothing else is going on...

the software's just standing there doing nothing. Why not spend the time doing the PAR2 downloads...

In my case, I was downloading some incompletes and after manually unpausing the PARs, it managed to assemble just fine and everything was good to go...
oferlaor
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/21/06

Postby DThor » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:04 am

The problem is there are people downloading 50G posts, and also others that work with limited pipelines and systems. You don't know if the pars are there until you download them. You might be instigating a lot of grinding.

Now, I should say that personally I am of the school of 'just clear out my queue whenever possible', and I don't like having to interact with the queue for certain posts that just sit there and really just need an assemble incomplete, or create sample. This includes multiple scenarios. I do understand, though, that not all users have the same priorities. At some point, however, I would like to see a more aggressive downloading, at least as an option. Some scenarios are easier than others to deal with.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to V6 Technical Support