Search Problem Locking or Slow

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Search Problem Locking or Slow

Postby nciter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:42 am

Version 6 1019

Paid search Subscription.

If I run a search it hangs after additional searches during a session.
I have to close out and run again for it to work.
This happens on both computers.

The blue bar activity indicator just stops.

Never had this problem before?. Is it a buffer overrun?

Thanks long time owner.
nciter
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Search Problem Locking or Slow

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:48 pm

Explain to me exactly how to trigger this. I can make up my own search terms, just the sequence. I'll try it here.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby nciter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Well Me guess Is, I should revert to the older version of the software for now.
I thought this was a support area for help for V6? 6 hours plus no No reply?

I've been a registered software member for over 4 years guess that does not count. seeing I just setup for the forums today, reason for doing so? Glad you asked! I NEVER had a problem with the software before. Guess that answers it. It's most likely some setting? but I run RAW out of the BOX so that should not be a problem with the upgrade at least from what I have experienced before.

V5 I guess?!

I really like the v6 options, but you know without support I guess it's a Beta Version still? just a little to soon to call a version 6. BTW I have seen others ask the same, long long long ago and no answer?

XP/2/Computers
different versions same problem?
86 setup/
Newshosting ( top of the line ) If I may!
SSI 019-66-3322
DVL _ 54-555-555-5555
CA 94923
DOB: 1960 when you guys were still a star in your Mom eye's! True Statement!
Started with a VIC20 and knew about Usenet then. Sorry ARP net.

I hope you can see I am a bit upset! (smile)

Please someone toss me a bone!

Thanks
nciter
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby nciter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:27 pm

Quade wrote:Explain to me exactly how to trigger this. I can make up my own search terms, just the sequence. I'll try it here.

Hit teevee in search!
Then try again with the same search options again, it should drag out or stall.
nciter
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:42 pm

nciter wrote:Well Me guess Is, I should revert to the older version of the software for now.
I thought this was a support area for help for V6? 6 hours plus no reply.

Not sure what your issue is? You get asked how to trigger the issue you are seeing and complain about that! If you do not give enough information to allow the problem to be reproduced, how can you expect an answer?

Also in terms of response speed, with different time zones coming into play, expecting anything less than 24 hour turnaround on questions is optimistic.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby nciter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:13 pm

itimpi wrote:
nciter wrote:Well Me guess Is, I should revert to the older version of the software for now.
I thought this was a support area for help for V6? 6 hours plus no reply.

Not sure what your issue is? You get asked how to trigger the issue you are seeing and complain about that! If you do not give enough information to allow the problem to be reproduced, how can you expect an answer?

Also in terms of response speed, with different time zones coming into play, expecting anything less than 24 hour turnaround on questions is optimistic.

The WHOLE Program "Software" Freezes meaning V6 has to be rebooted again. It has NOTHING to do with the Usenet feeds being updated. The Software LOCKS COMPLETELY UP! Many other posts about this and no one helped them as well. If your going to deal with me this way your job futures with customers is going to hold you back. Yes I am Upset I also used a smile in the post so get off the high horse this is a problem with the release.

I Upgraded ( God ) I hate the repeats!, I upgrade and install V6 like I have one for years, two computers both are showing the same problems, the software when using search with the paid option news bin offers you can search for instance a search term I use is teevee ( this is a Usenet tag ) not searching the group by it's self. God I hope you can grasp that.

If I wait lets say 5 mins and try a new search the SOFTWARE LOCKS UP, if per say I search teevee the first time it works fine an dandy. Then after 5 mins I try and search for the pougs mp3, the SOFTWARE Locks up.

Note this does not happen always but more so than not.
Note the same reporting I am doing has been brought up before an over looked.
Note with two computers this is happening so the bug is real.
Note It has and should not have any connection to usenet it is only searching the available feeds.
Note when I take my version of newsbin back to the latest version 5 it does not happen.
Note if your going to make something have someone with customer service skills help you customers.
Note your software is the best! Your minions that's an other story.
nciter
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Don't hit tab. That's probably the answer. Don't hit the tab key while the cursor is in the search edit. Someone reported that the other day and I've been looking at it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby BZee » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:25 am

I thought this was a support area for help for V6? 6 hours plus no No reply?

I've been a registered software member for over 4 years guess that does not count. seeing I just setup for the forums today, reason for doing so? Glad you asked! I NEVER had a problem with the software before. Guess that answers it. It's most likely some setting? but I run RAW out of the BOX so that should not be a problem with the upgrade at least from what I have experienced before.

Since you're new to the forums maybe you don't know that Quade is the one and only programmer. The rest of the people who answer questions are non-programmers and all (except Dexter) are users like you and me. Quade does spend a lot of time answering questions which takes time away from programming (as does family, day job, hobbies, etc) Let's give him some time to reply. I think itimpi's 24 hour guideline is about right. I'd even wait longer. Even if Newsbin wasn't working at all for me, I wouldn't die or lose my job or get divorced or something else dire!
BZee
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/13/03

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:07 am

I was at the track yesterday. It was HOT. Got the oil temp so high chasing down a 'vette that my oil pressure light was flickering at idle. Fucker wouldn't give me a pass sign even though I was on him like white on rice. Yes, I don't bring a PC to the track so, you might have to wait.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support