If I close newsbin, my downloads restart

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

If I close newsbin, my downloads restart

Postby Dimemc24 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:35 pm

Like the title says, I close newsbin and the files I have downloading restart. If they are completed they dont, but if they are half way through, or anything aside from completed, they start completely over when I run newsbin again. It is my understanding that it is supposed to pick up where I left off... am I incorrect about that? I am fairly new at this, so if I'm making a common mistake I wouldnt be overly surprised!
Dimemc24
n00b
n00b

Re: If I close newsbin, my downloads restart

Postby DThor » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:43 pm

If you run Newsbin as Administrator, does that stop happening? If you've been running off and on as admin, it's possible your downloads.db3 file only has write permissions for admin, perhaps.

Anything that stops Newsbin from writing to that file can cause this. Out of disk space, permissions, improper shutdown...

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Dimemc24 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:50 am

I have it only being run as administrator, problem still persists. Image link not allowed for unregistered users
Dimemc24
n00b
n00b

Postby itimpi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:04 am

It depends if they really restarting complete downloads.

Try expanding an entry so you can see the underlying files and see what is happening. For files that are already downloaded, Newsbin should grab the first chunk, find it is the same as what is already on disk, and then mark the whole file as downloaded. It therefore quickly catches up to where it was.

If it really is downloading all parts of the file again, and you do no have a permissions issue then it is possible that the downloads.db3 file has become damaged. You can delete this and a new one gets created, but in doing so you lose the current on tents of the Download related lists.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:52 am

What version? This sounds like one of the earlier beta's. They would start downloading from scratch on restart.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support