v6 not deleting rars and pars

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

v6 not deleting rars and pars

Postby SquiggsX » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Hello all,

I've been running into a peculiar problem, possibly a bug, where the rars and pars are not being deleted after successfully unraring a fileset. My settings are "AutoPAR" enabled, "AutoUnRAR" disabled, and "Delete rars and pars on successful UnRAR" enabled.

I upgraded from 5.59, and did not have this problem when I was using it or previous versions. I am using the 64-bit versions.

I have tried completely uninstalling v6 and tried reinstalling it and still have the same results. I uninstalled again and tried using the new beta 1 (currently on this version) and still have the problem.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Also, why was there a change in the UnRAR feature so now that when you select an rar set to be UnRAR'ed, you get a windowed progress bar and you can't do anything else in Newsbin untill the UnRAR'ing is complete? Would it be possible as a feature request to have the unrar progress be placed back in the download list, or to reenstate the AutoPAR tab again, so that you can do other tasks in Newsbin while waiting for an archive to unrar? Or how about if you have AutoUnRAR enabled, to allow the user to select/flag/mark/whatever an archive set to not be UnRAR'ed?
SquiggsX
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/08/02

Re: v6 not deleting rars and pars

Postby itimpi » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:05 pm

If you have AutoUnrar disabled, then you will not get files removed as that means you have taken manual control. Manual unrar is often used to sample a partical download so people would get very upset if NB deleted the files after such an action.

Also if you let the AutoUnrar run, then that DOES run quite happily in parrallel with everything else and does not tie up the GUI. It only makes sense to disable the Autounrar if you are going to unrar OUTSIDE newsbin.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby SquiggsX » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:52 pm

@itimpi

In v5.59, even if you had disabled AutoUnRAR but had AutoPAR enabled, if you enabled delete rars and pars on successful unrar, it would still delete all the rars and pars for that particular archive once you selected to decode/unrar that set from the AutoPAR tab.

If you where sampling a particular download using newsbin unrar, I'm assuming mid-downloading, you'd get an error message because the archive isn't complete, and should not trigger deletion since the unrar would not be successful.

I don't UnRAR all archives I get through newsbin for disk space reasons. This is why I choose to disable the AutoUnRAR. Small archives unrar'ed through newsbin; large archives moved to a different drive not using newsbin to decompress.

I figured that allowing AutoUnRAR would allow you to do other things in newsbin, just don't understand why manually selecting to unrar doesn't now.
SquiggsX
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/08/02

Postby Serpico » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:39 am

I agree with SquiggsX 100%, I just upgraded to 6.0 and spent allot of time wondering what I was doing wrong to find out nothing. To my knowledge Newsbin has never deleted any files on a post that wasn't complete when unraring.

I also don't use the AutoUnRAR option for the same reason but would still like the option to delete the rars and pars on a successful unrar, as in 5.59, and If it wasn't an option anymore you should not be able to check it unless the AutoUnRAR was checked.

All in all I like the improvments and thanks for that, but I hope this issue gets looked into
Serpico
n00b
n00b

Postby Bismark » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:10 pm

Version 5 had an AUTOPAR tab that showed what Pars/RARs were unprocessed. Now, in version 6, when I cancel a download after it started, i still have a bunch of .RAR & .PAR files in my file tab. It would be nice if I had the capability to easily delete the RAR and PAR files for a download like I had in the AUTOPAR tab.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/27/10

Postby cosmo4u » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:49 pm

came here due to similiar problems

im on 6.01B1 64bit.
astraweb

have auto unrar ticked
have delete rar and par ticked

newsbin often leaves the rar/par files in the download view pane after files are done downloading.
Also I rarely get anything unrared automatically. Ive got to go find the folder and do a manual par/unrar.

thought i was doing someting wrong since the upgrade.

Do you think maybe I have to have empty rar files to the recyle bin ticked? never had to do that before.

thanks for any advice
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.”
—Rogers Hornsby
cosmo4u
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/16/07

Postby itimpi » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:31 pm

cosmo4u wrote:Do you think maybe I have to have empty rar files to the recyle bin ticked? never had to do that before.

You definitely do not need this setting ticked. I do not ahve it ticked and everything decodes fine.

It is possible that the Autopar2.db3 file in the Newsbin DATA folder has become damaged in some way. You can always delete it and let a new one get created. However you should do this when Newsbin is closed and you do not have anything in the Download list to avoid any strange side-effects.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby cosmo4u » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:58 am

thanks for the heads up itimpi!!

That file was the only file in all caps in the folder..wierd, but I deleted it and will give it a few days fo D/L to see the results
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.”
—Rogers Hornsby
cosmo4u
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/16/07

Return to V6 Technical Support