Why does version 6 not automatically download the PARs when

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Why does version 6 not automatically download the PARs when

Postby snes150 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:21 am

needed? I have the relevant options selected in AutoPAR tab: "Automatically UnRAR complete files" and "Delete RAR's and PARs on successful unRAR."

Yet I will often come back from a long queue of files to download and find one or two that had an incomplete file in them just paused - because the program was not smart enough to unpause the PAR2 files when it detected one of the rars was incomplete. So I have to manually unpause the PAR2s to get the program working again.
snes150
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/24/09

Re: Why does version 6 not automatically download the PARs w

Postby itimpi » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:05 am

Have you tried checking on the age of the files that have not automatically have the PAR2 files downloaded?

On default settings PAR2 files are not automatically downloaded on any files that are less than 48 hours old as until that point is reached automatic Assembly Incompletes does not take place. This value can be changed via an entry in the NBI configuration file as documented in the Advanced section of the user Guide.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby snes150 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:00 am

That fixed it
snes150
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:13 am

What did you set it too? If you set it too short, you can cause file corruption. 48 hours seemed like a good number but, maybe I should default it to lower.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby snes150 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:44 pm

Oh whoops.

I forgot about this thread.

I actually set it to 0 and I haven't noticed an AutoPAR problem since. It could be a coincidence that I haven't stumbled upon any newly posted incomplete files that trip up the AutoPAR. Or it could have fixed it. IDK.
snes150
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:05 am

Yeah, 0 is aggressive. If you only use headers it's probably ok. If you use NZB's it might be too short.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby meimeiriver » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:26 am

Quade wrote:Yeah, 0 is aggressive. If you only use headers it's probably ok. If you use NZB's it might be too short.

I can't say I like this AutoPAR behavior. When soneone hands you an NZB, and says "Here, go download my file!", then it makes sense to have AutoPAR wait a bit, in order to give your news server time to catch up. However, in the vast majority of cases, it's the other way around: NZB's are generated (via binsearch, for instance) from a collection of already present (or absent) files; thus, when files are already markes as incomplete within the NZB itself, they are NEVER going to be downloaded in the first place, ever. So, it means Newsbin Pro just idles on such files for 48 hours, not assembling incompletes that could never possible become whole again on their own to begin with.

Solution? Newsbin Pro (AutoPAR) should differentiate between file parts that were simply already missing in the NZB (hence, will never lead to completion), and files that ARE part of the NZB, but which are simpy not there (yet?). In the former case, AutoPAR should just go ahead and immediately assemble incompletes; in the latter case, the 48 hours seems reasonable. As it stands, Newsbin Pro (AutoPAR) currently does nothing (for at least 48 hours) on ANY incomplete set.
meimeiriver
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/07/08

Postby itimpi » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:32 am

I think that by the time it gets around to doing the actual download, Newsbin has lost track of the fact that the item was originally added to the Download list via a NZB. It therefore has a generic treatment that allows for header originated downloads as well.

That does not mean that there is not room for improvement in this area. Perhaps something as simple as a visual indication that it was waiting on the timeout before initiating PAR2 downloads would be enough in most cases so that one was aware manual intervention was required.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:29 am

So, it means Newsbin Pro just idles on such files for 48 hours, not assembling incompletes that could never possible become whole again on their own to begin with.

I must not be explaining how the delay thing works very well then. Many people think this is what happens but, that's not the case. The files in the NZB have to be 48 hours old. Meaning if they were posted 3 days ago, the only delay is one retry. So, ANY file POSTED more than 48 hours ago is automatically assembled after a single retry. It doesn't matter how long it sits in the download list.

So,

- posted an hour ago, delay
- Posted one day ago delay
- Posted a week ago, no delay. it assembles after a single retry.

As Itimpi said, I'm always looking to improve it. I don't have any missing parts problems so, I'm not seeing it here at all.

What I find a bit odd is that, 5.59 had exactly the same 48 hour mechanism. It makes me think that's not the only thing at play here.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby SleepyOne » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:42 am

+1 for this thread.
Changed mine to zero, and NB is now way more awesome. No more frustrating wait for that one tiny piece missing that can be repaired anyway.

With todays newsservers a 48 hour delay is def. not needed. Most if not all servers propagate within 15-20 minutes tops.
SleepyOne
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/30/09

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:35 am

With todays newsservers a 48 hour delay is def. not needed. Most if not all servers propagate within 15-20 minutes tops.

I was working with one of the top news servers the other day and there was an 8 hour gap in file completion what wasn't the server's fault. One of it's peers, another major news server, wasn't delivering the posts that were posted to it so, the server got the posts in a round-about way instead of directly. So, this might work for you most of the time but, not always. The file set was incomplete enough that it was unrepairable.

That said, I am still looking at improving this.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby xorz » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:59 pm

Could you please be more specific on how to fix this, frankly I'm tired of reading through the documentation and trying to get this fixed, it's been a huge waste of my time, I love newsbin but this version is just perplexing (the interface is worse, tabs are missing, it's just not intuitive compared to the previous versions).
xorz
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:38 pm

Fix what exactly? You've typed out a list of things you don't like.

You know 5.59 is still downloadable and usable right?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support