Incomplete only in Newsbin (and a couple of other points)

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Incomplete only in Newsbin (and a couple of other points)

Postby alad26 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:54 pm

I’ve been using NB for a while and recently found that many files are showing as incomplete on Newsbin. I have still got my old news reader on the system and going to the same files in that shows them as being complete and I can download the whole file. I’ve got a feeling it happens if I'm downloading the headers while they are incomplete on the server but hitting the download group update button doesn't fill in the missing parts. It wont even do that if I restart NB (set to update groups on start).

I’m using 6.0: 00 FB DA 79 47 26 (was using the beta version) in W7 64bit home premium. Is there something obvious I'm missing. I'd like to remove the old news server from the system but at the moment I'm having to use it to fill in the blanks. I'm using Newshosting in both readers with the same settings.

While im asking.... I also have a file that failed to download months ago stuck in my download list so every time I boot up it tries to download the file. Any ideas how I can remove it? I’ve tried everything I can think of in the programme. Is it stuck in a file somewhere on the PC perhaps.

Finally, I think it's a feature and not a problem, but when a file is incomplete I have to manually download additional pars to complete the file. For example if a file consist of 20 parts and 5 pars, if there incompletes it stops the download. I can hit assemble incompletes and sometimes that works, but often it downloads just one par file even if it needs more, so I have to expand the file and find single pars, which are shown as idle, and hit resume to get the additional pars.

Just a couple of minor blips in an otherwise great programme, and it's probably me anyway! Any help appreciated.

Alad
alad26
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/13/10

Re: Incomplete only in Newsbin (and a couple of other points

Postby itimpi » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:06 pm

alad26 wrote:While im asking.... I also have a file that failed to download months ago stuck in my download list so every time I boot up it tries to download the file. Any ideas how I can remove it? I’ve tried everything I can think of in the programme. Is it stuck in a file somewhere on the PC perhaps.

Not sure why deleting it from the Download list is not clearing it!

One way to make sure it disappears would be to wait until your download list clears of wanted downloads, exit newsbin and then delete the downloads.db3 file from the Newsbin DATA folder. However since doing so loses the current contents of the Download and Failed files lists make sure you pick the right moment to do it.

Finally, I think it's a feature and not a problem, but when a file is incomplete I have to manually download additional pars to complete the file. For example if a file consist of 20 parts and 5 pars, if there incompletes it stops the download. I can hit assemble incompletes and sometimes that works, but often it downloads just one par file even if it needs more, so I have to expand the file and find single pars, which are shown as idle, and hit resume to get the additional pars.

If these are new files then it probably means that the timeout before autoassembly of incompletes has not been reached. This has a default of 48 hours from the post date (although it can be changed by a NBI file entry as documented in the Advanced section of the user Guide). However why it should not be downloading all the required pars is puzzling.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby alad26 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:57 pm

Itimpi - thanks for the reply on the last 2 points. I deleted downloads.db3 and it has cured the recurring download problem. With regard to joining i have changed the default time out to 1 hour to see if that makes a difference and will play with the setting if it's too extreme.

Still looking for some suggestions as to why the posts are not filling properly via newsbin when they do with my other newsreader from exactly the same source.

Thanks

Alad
alad26
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:09 pm

alad26 wrote:Still looking for some suggestions as to why the posts are not filling properly via newsbin when they do with my other newsreader from exactly the same source.

You probably need input from Quade on this one. As I tend to use mainly NZB files I do not really have any exposure to this issue.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby alad26 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:27 pm

Thanks for replying. As an update i deleted the data files in Spool_v6 for the groups that were most affected (for some reason some groups are always complete). I then re-downloaded the headers and all files showed as complete, so looks like some kind of sticking point in the data folder (it's on a different drive to the main programme). Im hoping that will be a permanent fix. Will monitor and come back to the forum if still a problem.

Alad
alad26
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support