Combined List is not including all entries

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Combined List is not including all entries

Postby mmonroe » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Let me see if I can get the terms down to explain what I am seeing. I had hoped that 6.01 B1 would fix the issue - but no..

When you bring up a newsgroup, Newsbin will consolodate all of the posts onto a single summarized line. In version 5, it would get everything, including the PARs, and when it pulled everything down the posts could be fixed, unrar'ed and whatnot.

I am finding with 6.01 B1 that it is not properly combining all of the posts into a single line. As such, the entire posting does not get pulled and will not, actually cant, unrar properly. I generally sort the groups by "size" so that I can see the bigger DVD sized postings at the top. As such, you dont see the "rif-raf" that is small and falls to the bottom.

When I sort by name, instead of size, I see that News bin is not see pars and other parts as part of the main consolodated line. This issue began with v 6 and worked properly in v5.

Thoughts/Ideas?
mmonroe
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/03/07

Re: Combined List is not including all entries

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:27 pm

It's never going to be 100% because people can't follow any posting standard. It wasn't 100% in 5 and it's not 100% in 6. If anything, 6 is compacting more sets together than 5 does. You have to be ready to add the pars with the rars when you add files to the download list. I don't see that going away. 6 shows you if the pars are in the set so, if you notice they aren't, you can find and add them along with the rars.

Compaction is a moving target. As it changes, Newsbin will change. I actually suspect some posters are purposely messing up compaction in order to drive people to their NZB site. I have no proof though. It's so easy to post things that compact together that the fact some people don't suggests there's a reason they don't.

I'd suggest setting a minimum size filter so, a subject sort will still not show most of the SPAM. 100-200 megs should filter it download pretty well.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mmonroe » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:47 pm

I understand.. However, in version 5 it was very accurate and 8 or more out of 10 times would know the PARs and include them in the summary. Very rarely did I have to go manually grab the PARs to add them to the download.

After going to version 6 with no other Newbin changes, I noticed that probably only 3-4 downloads out of 10 would give me a final finished AVI/DVD or whatnot. All of a sudden, in the span of one day and one Newbin upgrade - I wasnt getting many complete files from the exact same groups that I did the previous day. NNTP service is Giganews.

Wanting to do my due diligence on researching the issue, I found that v6 was not doing nearly as good of a job of pulling down and getting me a final product - AVI/DVD - that v5 did. I would expect v6 to work as well as v5 if not better and it is not.

If there is anything I can do to help show the difference, I would be happy to. I am sure that I am not the only one seeing this. At this point, unless v6 can be improved, I would be far better served by v5.

Let me know how I can help....
mmonroe
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:37 pm

I'm not sure there's much to investigate. No pars = no repair and no assembly. That's just the way it is.

If you want to PM me some examples I'll be happy to look. Don't post them here. I don't download what you download so, who knows, maybe something needs fixing.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mmonroe » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:07 pm

I restored v 5.58 and downloaded some of the postings that were giving me troubles with v 6.01 B1. I used the same newsgroup and the same postings from the same news server. They downloaded and unrar'ed just fine. I will download some others and see how things are overall, however, things seem to be back to normal with very high sucess rates. Looks like I will just stick with v 5.58 for the time being.

Many thanks for the help. It is greatly appreciated.
mmonroe
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DThor » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:16 am

Maybe you sent Quade some examples and didn't acknowledge it, but without examples, if something really is broken, it doesn't get fixed.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby mmonroe » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:51 pm

For me anyway, v 6.01 B1 is definitely not as accurate or as sucessful on downloading posts. I have tested by doing back testing between v 5.58 and v 6.01 B1 with the exact same setups, system and hardware. I didnt do any statistics on on it, however, for me, v 6.01 B1 fails about 8-9/10 times where v 5.58 is sucessful 8-9/10 times.

This post didnt seem to indicate there was much interest with investigating matters so I just left well enough alone:

"I'm not sure there's much to investigate. No pars = no repair and no assembly. That's just the way it is."

For me anyway, I was able to solve the problem so I am good. I am not here to fight the system, just download some news. :)
mmonroe
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:13 pm

If you want to PM me some examples I'll be happy to look. Don't post them here. I don't download what you download so, who knows, maybe something needs fixing.

Pretty selective quoting. I care about a problem exactly as long as someone gives me feedback. No feedback = I go on to something else. I was ready to look at your stuff. If you don't want to pursue it, it's no skin off my nose.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mmonroe » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:45 pm

Feel free to go on to something else. Apparently I am the only one with an issue and I have a solution in place now. Thanks for the help.
mmonroe
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support