Download progress bar suddenly finishes

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Download progress bar suddenly finishes

Postby rh » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:14 pm

Crawling along downloading what was displayed as about 2 million headers, I noticed the progress bar went away. No more network throughput, it must be done. Was the 2 million not accurate or did it die early? Nothing obvious in the log.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/27/04

Re: Download progress bar suddenly finishes

Postby DThor » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:20 am

What happens when you try download latest? Pick up where it left off(it should)? What about the actual result? Do you have spools? Sometimes with some groups that are old with low traffic, or something is up at the server end, you might briefly see an erroneous count.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby rh » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:23 pm

Initially, it was at about 54% and was plucking about 10,000 every 2 seconds. Then it was suddenly done.

Download latest is where I spotted the 2 million number - presumably representing new headers since I last visited. After posting I 'download latest' again and it finished before the progress bar had time to display anything. One might assume that at this point I had the latest.

I ended up just downloading ALL overnight. Of course I couldn't wait for it so I don't really know if that was completely successful or not.

In the past, the progress bar always went to the end, it never jumped from just over half done to complete.

Would be nice if the log would indicate the # of headers attempted and # actually received.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/27/04

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:23 pm

Older versions of 6 didn't retry header downloads so, all you probably had to do is "download latest" for it to start downloading again where it left off.

Jumping from the middle to the end can happen of the server is bad. Newsbin's progress bar reflects the actual headers downloaded so, if there's a gap, it'll jump forward.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support