Downloads don't continue correctly

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Downloads don't continue correctly

Postby dane » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:35 pm

Sometimes I'll download a few parts of a long post just to make sure the sound is synced, etc. In version 5, when I went back to download the whole file, I could just click the little circle in the listing and it would enter the download queue. when it started to d/l, the parts that were already downloaded would be recognized and would gray-out and d/ling would start with the next undownloaded part. In version 6, it seems as though the already d/led parts get renamed and then d/led again.

I went to options and changed the filename preferences and got different unexpected results - on restarting the download, all the parts which had not been downloaded before were marked as red (with the red circle with an ! in the middle). If I then clicked each of the parts separately, they would d/l.

I must have screwed up some switches somewhere, but can't find out where. (btw on the filename options tab, theres a button that says "advanced" but pushing doesn't seem to do anything).

As always, thanks in advance for your help.
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/05

Re: Downloads don't continue correctly

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:40 pm

Well, it sounds like you turned off file rename. I'd turn that back on. What version are you using? Doesn't sound like the release or the newest beta. The older beta's would re-download. The release downloads the first chunk to verify the file on disk and then moves on to the next file.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Ribble » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:17 pm

Only way I found to try a second RAR download is to rename the original file first.
Ribble
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/04/09

Postby dane » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:00 am

I'm using the release - build 1019. It behaves as described. I can turn file rename back on, and it will stop things from turning red, but if I click the file to download it will download all parts (beginning to end) rather than picking up with parts that have not yet been downloaded.

I can highlight the remaining parts and enter them into the queue and they will d/l properly, but won't automatically unrar. How can I (can I) set newsbin to resume d/ls where they left off?

Thanks,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:43 am

If you're just adding files with no par files then this is probably how it works. It assumes you're not adding the same files to download over again (and that autopar is enabled). If on the other hand you download and it includes the pars, that's when it'll check what's already on disk and not re-download it.

For example, adding a couple RAR files to check, then deciding you want the whole set. If you add the entire set including PAR files. The small par will download and then it'll use the par information to determine what to download and what not to download. It's not clear to me if you're also downloading PAR files. So, if the two RARS are already on disk, you've added the set, the PAR downloads, the first chunk of the RAR you already downloaded downloads. Newsbin then checks this against what's already on disk and doesn't download any more of the file.

If you download a couple rars then add the rest of the RARS but, not the PAR files. Newsbin assumes the files on disk are different or that you really want to re-download them.

6.01B3 will attempt to unrar sets of files (they have to be grouped) even if they don't have PAR files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby dane » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:05 pm

Thank you, that's just the explanation I needed to understand what must have happened. After installing the latest release, I must have added a few files in a row that had no par files, then went hunting in the menus and clicked off file rename and the problems just kept getting worse. I've re-clicked the file rename, and added a file with pars that I'd already taken a few parts of and it processed correctly.

As always, thanks,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support