How do I set which pane the post list open in?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

How do I set which pane the post list open in?

Postby b.e.wilson » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:05 am

So I finally upgraded to v6.01beta3 after trying and finding the beta v6 panes frustrating to work with, only to find the behavior is the same. So I've concluded I have a setting messed up somewhere.

I'm trying to set up a three-pane window, similar to v5. Group lists to the left, a large pane with all the post lists to the upper right, and all the other tabs in a short pane bottom right. Trouble is, the post lists insist on opening in the small lower right pane, and I need to drag them up every dang time I open the group. How can I set which pane the groups list will open in?

Things I've tried:
Move post lists to where I want them, save configuration. Didn't work.
Delete workspace.xml, arrange the desktop, save configuration, close newsBin and reopen. Didn't work.
Clicked the pin to lock them in position. Didn't work (it hid the pane instead).
Since the post lists were always opening to a particular pane, I moved everything else to a different pane. Didn't work. Post lists insist on opening in the smallest pane on the desktop.

HELP!
b.e.wilson
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/22/03

Re: How do I set which pane the post list open in?

Postby DThor » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:37 am

Do you have the Search tab open somewhere? It needs to be, or you get odd behaviour... I have the search open in the primary large upper-right area, similar to what you're describing...

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby itimpi » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:39 am

b.e.wilson wrote:Since the post lists were always opening to a particular pane, I moved everything else to a different pane. Didn't work. Post lists insist on opening in the smallest pane on the desktop.

Post lists always open in the same pane that contains the Search tab. I am guessing that you have hidden this? Since keeping the Search tab visible is important, ideally the ability to close it should be removed.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby b.e.wilson » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:04 pm

"follows the search tab."

Yep, that was it. I had the search tab in that small pane.

Thanks!
b.e.wilson
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/22/03

Return to V6 Technical Support