Problems with 6.0, gone back to 5.0 for now

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Problems with 6.0, gone back to 5.0 for now

Postby fizzlepop » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:16 am

Not sure what's going on ever since I upgraded to 6.0, but when I go load a few NZBs to download, it will just sit there.. quick question.. do I need to run Giganews Accelerator on 6.0 or not? Maybe that has something to do with it - I've no problems at all with 5.0 and am currently running 5.59 for now b/c that was the last 5.0 series I had saved on my hard drive... loaded up the same exact NZBs that were sitting idle in 6.0 and it's downloading completely fine in 5.59. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, btw.. I'll probably stick to 5.0 for now unless someone has an obvious answer that'll fix my issues... I DO like the new look of 6.0, but having it not download anything is annoying (sometimes it works and sometimes it just sits idle for awhile for whatever reason).
fizzlepop
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/30/03

Re: Problems with 6.0, gone back to 5.0 for now

Postby DThor » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:43 am

Without any diagnostic work from you, nope, it won't get looked at. Plenty of people downloading day and night just fine, so there's something unique to what you're trying to do or your environment that's causing you grief.

Newsbin 6 is a different program than 5 so certainly any AV or system security software is a good first place to look. You give no information about the OS, any extenuating circumstances like network drives, the version of Newsbin you're running, if you have any messages in the log, if this happens with every single thing you download or just some, etc. Check permissions to the write locations.

You don't need to run giga accelerator, so you can disable that, with v5 too for that matter assuming you're running the latest. It doesn't cause you problems, though, you just don't need it.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby nbwul62 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:56 am

Same here, I am afraid, think I return to latest v.5 version. Seems v.6 acts so much differently than v.5.
Like: when I say download all from a (big) set, it downloads only what it seems necessary, although all 'part'-s
and .pars were tagged.
In the end I close NB and relaunch it, then it continues to download the pars and the file is then unpacked.
Or, as another example: a file has been unpacked properly, some pars were not downloaded (as above).
Whilst assuming everything is okay, I launch NB the next day or the day thereafter and it starts downloading.
Upon checking what it is downloading now I noticed that it is downloading some pars I donot need anymore.
So, either download the whole set in one go, or, if a file has been unpacked properly, don't start downloading
unnecessary pars.
Like: I need 1 specific file from a set that has previously been downloaded successfully. For this I used "Bypasss filter".
When I do this now, nothing happens, tried this a few times, the file is not downloaded. It is in the download list alright, current progress is grey, that's it.
Hope things are backward compatible...
(oh, fwiw: w7 64b, don't think this is causing any problems though)
=
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/18/03

Postby Memphoman » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:39 am

recently upgraded to 6.01B5, having problems with my giganew accel too. nothing in logs, does not indicate ssl connections either. So I should just disable it and select ssl and port 118 inside NBPro? My logging inside NBPro does not indicate ssl either. I get [23:28:42] HIGH NNTPSocket - 224 xover information follows [COMPRESS=GZIP] from each newsgrp ?
Memphoman
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/06/03

Postby beatnik » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:43 pm

I upgraded to 6.0 yesterday i got the interface to a way i liked it and i thought it was nice but then i had several issues. Almost all my nzb downloads would not download completely first i thought i had picked some bad nzb files but i tried one that was posted today and it didn't work either?

Other than that my only gripes are one their is no autopar menu or log or anything to know whats going on their :?

Also i could not for the life of me find a way to download the pars (maybe its auto now after a scan and thats ok but why the files come incomplete idk)

Today i reverted back to 5.59 (same settings let the installer do the work), After I did this I tried that .NZB i tried before on 6.o well it downloaded twice as fast and was complete it didn't even need pars?

So maybe ill try out 6.0 again someday but for now it just doesn't work for me IDK. In all i like the interface, i like to have just my downloads and headers open and have everything else on auto hide so i can check my log and connections without having to open the window or have it always open i found that to be great But (you knew one was coming) the new programming has a lot of bugs or something IDK I am not Paid to do this sort of stuff so i cant point out any programming errors just how it works for me. if it matters i am using the 64 bit version on windows 7 64.

I just dont understand why this is happening newbinPro has always been ROCK SOLID and ive used it for YEARS with no problems (client related) ever until now?
beatnik
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/02/09

Postby Quade » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:16 pm

1 - If you set Newsbin to connect SSL. It can ONLY connect SSL. So, if it connects, you know it's SSL. Depending on the logging level it'll also show you that it's SSL in the logs and it'll show locks in the connection window.

2 - If you have problems with Autopar, the first thing you need to do is exit, delete autopar2.db3 in the data folder, then try again. If you right click the parent in the download list, do properties and if you actually have a PAR file downloaded, it'll show you par stats.

3 - I'm having problems with 6 too. It's struggling to maintain 400 Mbps download speed and unrar a 9 gig file at the same time. POS.

Dex and I want you to run any version that makes you happy. It doesn't matter to us which one you run. Feedback is good. I like to know about your problems too. If you just jump into 6 and then jump back out. I'm not surprised you're having problems. There's some relearning to do.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby beatnik » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:48 pm

For me currently, when I installed version 6 i went through all the options and set it all up the way i liked and i like the new interface although as i stated some of my issues above but I also have been having problems with speed too. In all i like version 6 but until the bugs are worked out (if it ran like 5.59 but looked like 6 I would use it as I liked the interface but not so keen on the coding) Although i noticed some things that i liked it seamed to download/update headers quite quickly and they did not take up as much space as Vr 5 i only had it installed for a couple days as i need to download daily and i couldn't figure out how to fix it. Oddly though it seamed to work fine at first but then.... So idk really but in all Ill definitely try out the next version released.

Thanks and also thanks for having the older releases available I have been using Newsbin ever since they started to appear on newzbin.com and AFAIK newsbinPRO was one of the first (if not the first) to implement this And it has become the MAIN way people download from the usenet nowadays so to me NewsbinPro is imo the most innovative a the best Usenet client IMO. Thus the reason I support this program, in all i will keep using it.
beatnik
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/02/09

Postby totor » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:36 pm

Hello me too I revert to 5.0 too much problems to get a good display. would it be possible to get a default display like nbpro 4 of course those who need to change it could do it but at starting we should get the old display which is good. Another point I regret the autopar tab which is not anymore in the new version. For those like me who wants to downgrade be very carefull I have lost all my settings :the old nbi is replaced by a new one that is a pity when you dont know that. When you upgrade no probleme you keep your nbi but not when you downgrade!!!
totor
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Dovas157 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:51 am

Will going back to 5 help me. I have been using 6 for a couple of weeks and now it won't download anything. Keeps showing my login rejected. I am running windows 7 64 bit. It has been fine but just stopped now. I am using Giganews and have done for years with no problems. I have used all ports they recommended., disabled firewalls etc and still nothing. I have uninstalled and re-installed newsbin and now it won't let me register. Please help
Dovas157
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/02/08

Postby DThor » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:49 am

It's hard to say with so little information. When you say it was fine but now it's not, do you mean v6 was fine? If so, that's good, you just need to find out what has changed. I know you said you disabled the firewall, but what about antivirus? If you're using avast, that's almost certainly the problem. They recently did an update that scans nntp traffic. Look for the message of the day archive to see instructions on how to disable this behaviour.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:46 am

I suspect switching back to 5 won't solve it. It sounds like you need to check with Giganews and confirm they can still bill you. They might need an updated credit card for instance.

What's the actual error? You can select some lines and hit Ctrl-C to copy them and then start a post here and hit Ctrl-V to paste them.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support