Crosspost Filter Global or otherwise simply does nothing

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Crosspost Filter Global or otherwise simply does nothing

Postby horndogmike » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:27 am

I have tried and tried, but still V6 does NOT weed out crossposts no matter what.

Ideas?
horndogmike
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/29/11

Re: Crosspost Filter Global or otherwise simply does nothing

Postby Quade » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:35 am

I assume you're setting it in a filter profile? Have you applied the filter profile to the group?

I'll check it out.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby thebigtexan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:49 pm

Any news on this yet? Are the V6 profile filters functional?? I'm using 6.00 final and the filtering is just not working correctly. I can include filter by subject string, sometimes by filename string, but never by size at all. I get no filtration at all. THis is true using a filter or the quick drop-down from post list view.

I've read several threads regarding filter problems, but see no clear explanation or solution yet. Is this a Newsbin problem, Yes or No? If so, what is the status and/or when can we expect to see functional filtering?

Thanks!
thebigtexan
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/08

Postby DThor » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:11 pm

Err, it's 9 hours later. Ease back on the reins! Filtering seems to be working fine for me here, although admittedly I'm running a non-released version. I'm filtering by size in a filter and applying it to loaded posts. Is that what you mean? That's not what the original post is about...

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby horndogmike » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:16 pm

Quade wrote:I assume you're setting it in a filter profile? Have you applied the filter profile to the group?

I'll check it out.

Yes, and the reason I even bought it was Agent was outdated and it too could not weed crossposters. I have tried it all I think, normally do my leg work before a support post.

I thought it might be giganews accelarator, but I turned that off. Even reinstalled it (newsbin) as admin. No luck. I cannot seem to filter any crossposts...
horndogmike
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:06 am

I looked at it. Crosspost filters don't work. Not sure they can work without a re-design of header storage. Sorry. NZB's and search never had support for crosspost filtering. The information simply isn't there. That's what happened with header storage. If I had it to do over, I could fix it but, I can't see making people convert 30 gigs of header so soon after converting from RV4's.

I'll think about it though. Maybe I can re-enable it if you compact the database.

You can set a global crosspost list which will throw away any posts that exceeds the limit.

[SETTINGS]
CrossLimit=X

In the configuration file. It applies when you download headers.

Is how you'd set the limit. It defaults to 8. It you set it lower, it'll simply throw away posts crossposted to more then X groups. If there's a demand for making it "Per group" I wouldn't mind implementing it.

Size and subject filtering worked fine. Filename filters only apply after download. If you can't get the size and subject filtering working. Explain how you're doing it.

I find the best thing for spammers is right click "Delete all Posts from Poster". It's how I clean my groups out.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby horndogmike » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:38 am

While you are "thinking" about it, I would revise your "features" to not imply crossposting filters as an actual "feature" of the program. It's the only reason I bought it... Seriously thinking I want a refund...

Quade wrote:I looked at it. Crosspost filters don't work. Not sure they can work without a re-design of header storage. Sorry. NZB's and search never had support for crosspost filtering. The information simply isn't there. That's what happened with header storage. If I had it to do over, I could fix it but, I can't see making people convert 30 gigs of header so soon after converting from RV4's.

I'll think about it though. Maybe I can re-enable it if you compact the database.

You can set a global crosspost list which will throw away any posts that exceeds the limit.

[SETTINGS]
CrossLimit=X

In the configuration file. It applies when you download headers.

Is how you'd set the limit. It defaults to 8. It you set it lower, it'll simply throw away posts crossposted to more then X groups. If there's a demand for making it "Per group" I wouldn't mind implementing it.

Size and subject filtering worked fine. Filename filters only apply after download. If you can't get the size and subject filtering working. Explain how you're doing it.

I find the best thing for spammers is right click "Delete all Posts from Poster". It's how I clean my groups out.
horndogmike
n00b
n00b

Postby horndogmike » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:53 am

Quade wrote:

Oh one more thing, I would rather not get carpel tunnel ctrl+p people 8000000 times...

But thanks anyway...
horndogmike
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:14 am

You can revert to 5.59. It worked there. When I use the right click, it tends to kill 1000's of posts in one click.

The global crosspost filter won't cut it for you? How about if I made it "Per Group" instead of global?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby DThor » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:42 am

You can assign single key shortcuts to delete all from poster, I use the keyboard and lot with Newsbin and nary a double key combo in sight. One click deletes everything from that one poster.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby horndogmike » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:13 am

Quade wrote:You can revert to 5.59. It worked there. When I use the right click, it tends to kill 1000's of posts in one click.

The global crosspost filter won't cut it for you? How about if I made it "Per Group" instead of global?

That is exactly what the program's layout implies after all. Does it not? On every group you see the ability to select the filter, including the global one.

What I feel would really make it hands down the adobe CS5.5 of newsreaders would be an EXTREME gung-ho focus on filters. Some binary groups are so deeply embroiled in spam that you (at least I do) just say to hell with it and stop going.

*IF* you set the industry standard in newsreaders (and you damn near do now anyway), EVERYONE would use it that uses usenet. *IF* your filters stacked, were intelligent and intuitive, to the point you could fine tune it to make usenet effortless for even a novice to go at least close to junk free... Well not only would you be extremely wealthy, but usenet would improve as a whole, and evolve forward, not backward. Reason being, if the vast majority were using reader ware that WEEDED em out good... EVERYONE would want it, and NOONE would "read" the spam, thus the end result is the news spammers would likely just leave. It would not be worth their effort, too many people would not see their ads, and the ones that did, the diminished numbers alone would likely drive them to other forms of income/frustration/entertainment.
horndogmike
n00b
n00b

Postby horndogmike » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:29 am

DThor wrote:You can assign single key shortcuts to delete all from poster, I use the keyboard and lot with Newsbin and nary a double key combo in sight. One click deletes everything from that one poster.

DT

I might look into that. After reading your response, yeah it might be a tad easier with a single keystroke filter-author - might have to be the space-bar LOL
horndogmike
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:55 am

Don't use alphanumeric for single key equivalents, last I checked, they might block that key when entering text, Quade knows about it. I assign it to F keys, myself, then map that to my gaming keyboard macro keys, for easier access.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:35 am

That is exactly what the program's layout implies after all. Does it not? On every group you see the ability to select the filter, including the global one.

The crosspost filter that currently works and is in place, happens at a completely different level than the one on the display. The global crosspost limiter happens during header download, while the crosspost information still exists. It'll throw the posts away before they're added to header storage. The filters in the filter profile, when they work, simply filter them from the display but, they still take up space in the header storage.

If I implement this "per group" and not "per filter profile" then the same mechanism will work but, you can control it more. There's also a hidden header filter that lets you control what headers are stored in storage. Say you're looking at a picture group and you simply want to throw away all RAR or EXE file. Both the crosspost filter and the header filter are somewhat dangerous which is why they don't have a GUI.

I'm going to add conventional cross post filters back in but, it's not going to be till after 6.1 is out.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby horndogmike » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:03 am

Quade wrote:

The crosspost filter that currently works and is in place, happens at a completely different level than the one on the display. The global crosspost limiter happens during header download, while the crosspost information still exists. It'll throw the posts away before they're added to header storage. The filters in the filter profile, when they work, simply filter them from the display but, they still take up space in the header storage.

If I implement this "per group" and not "per filter profile" then the same mechanism will work but, you can control it more. There's also a hidden header filter that lets you control what headers are stored in storage. Say you're looking at a picture group and you simply want to throw away all RAR or EXE file. Both the crosspost filter and the header filter are somewhat dangerous which is why they don't have a GUI.

I'm going to add conventional cross post filters back in but, it's not going to be till after 6.1 is out.

Where do you access the hidden filter?
horndogmike
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support