V6 Benefits

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

V6 Benefits

Postby Flash2 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:58 pm

Can anyone that is using V6 tell me what the overall benefits of V6 are?

I have been a supporter of Newsbin for quite a few years but what is the motivation of the V6 upgrade?

As a disclaimer, I am a bit turned off with the handling of the search request features. I find the new compacted method returns erroneous compacted results where I thought the previous method of showing all uncompacted results was superior. I don't use the search features anymore so what remaining features would motivate me to upgrade?
Flash2
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/04

Re: V6 Benefits

Postby DThor » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:40 am

These sorts of threads are really pointless,they just devolve into rambles and rants. Plenty of users like the new features, it's faster, more customizable, read the release notes. There's also plenty of people that don't like change, too, and that's OK. V5 isn't going anywhere, you're welcome to continue using it.

Now, if you have *specific * questions about new features, such as 'I need to do this and the new method won't let me', fire away. Please give examples of erroneous results(try to obfuscate the specifics, please). The Newsbin guys are constantly improving it and are happy for constructive criticism. There are absolutely some things that are done differently, it might not be obvious. Plus, yup, you personally might like the old way. That's your prerogative.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Flash2 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:45 am

Since I paid for the search feature for a number of months I believe I have the right to state my "pointless" remarks. If you don't have the patience to listen to a regular paying customer then maybe you should try a different career.

Specifically, the problem I had was I would search a specific rar group that returned compressed and it came back erroneous or omitted which makes it useless to me. I had to expand to all sizes to try to collect what I was looking for. Then, I wasn't certain of which rar group was genuine because it was reported as the wrong size. 1 meg versus actual 4.5 gig or more. You can look at the size of a rar group to determine it contents. If smaller, then it may be a different format. This is a lot searching and manipulating for a service I was hoping would simplify my efforts. Before, the unexpanded type searching was easy to determine what the rar group was and it included nfo, sfv, etc which the compressed group does not.

This is not meant meant as a slam. I thought you guys were constructive thinkers.
Flash2
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/04

Postby itimpi » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:09 am

Flash2 wrote:This is not meant meant as a slam. I thought you guys were constructive thinkers.
The "you guys" is just another Newsbin user :)

I thought that Search now returned compacted results regardless of the version of Newsbin you were using (I am not sure as it a while since I used v5). As such it is an irrelevancy as far as deciding whether to upgrade or not (although that is not a reason to say you cannot express an opinion about the search facility).

The main features I like about v6 are:
- Far faster sustained maximum download speeds (on v5 I was disk I/O constrained)
- Much lower RAM usage
- Much faster loading of Post lists
- New UI (whether you like this or not is subjective)
- More reliable and improved AutoPar features

There are a raft of other small changes that I have probably forgotten :?

I guess the key point is that since it is a free upgrade it is up to you whether you want to upgrade or not. One thing to bear in mind, though, is that v5 is now frozen so will not be getting any bug fixes or enhancements. Therefore with v5 you are stuck with what is currently available while v6 will continue to be improved.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:17 am

Yeah, all search is returned compacted

V6 lets you expand out search more naturally by selecting the +. Like expanding a folder in explorer.

Specifically, the problem I had was I would search a specific rar group that returned compressed and it came back erroneous or omitted which makes it useless to me. I had to expand to all sizes to try to collect what I was looking for. Then, I wasn't certain of which rar group was genuine because it was reported as the wrong size. 1 meg versus actual 4.5 gig or more. You can look at the size of a rar group to determine it contents. If smaller, then it may be a different format. This is a lot searching and manipulating for a service I was hoping would simplify my efforts. Before, the unexpanded type searching was easy to determine what the rar group was and it included nfo, sfv, etc which the compressed group does not.

Ideally, if you see a problem like this, you report it in the Tech Support form and then Dex or I look at it. Wouldn't be surprised to find that this was a problem in 5.5X and not search itself. Probably just an issue with 32 bit sizes wrapping and the numbers needing to be 64 bits. You can test it easily enough though. You can always search these days. You just can't download without a subscription.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby DThor » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:41 am

Yeah, just a user, was hoping you read my reference to the 'Newsbin guys '. Oh well. But see, isn't it much better now you've focused on something tangible and not just 'tell me why I should love you'?

And yeah, I've not seen what you're reporting, outside of obvious spam. Reporting it is the thing to do.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to V6 Technical Support