Local search returns Internet results?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Local search returns Internet results?

Postby t3chnomanc3r » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:50 pm

I've never subscribed nor used the paid Internet search feature and have always known to select "Local" in the search box but with the 6.10RC3 I've hit a snag:

When I searched I got limited results (IMHO) of what I thought was available in my downloaded headers so I clicked "Load Older Files" which gave me hits. When I clicked to download I got the "UsenetSearch Error" dialog "File Downloads Blocked".

Steps I followed to search:

1. filed in search field
2. chose a group then selected "Subject Field", "Local Profile" options
3. clicked magnifying glass icon for "Only display files that match..."
4. when limited results returned, clicked "Load older files..."
5. more results listed, clicked to download & UsenetSearch error dialog pops up.

Unlike 5.x when I clear the search box it does not clear the results and I am assuming that this field is not search but rather filtering existing results. So the questions are:

1. Why do I get Internet results (cached maybe? May have done Internet search once by accident.)
2. Why can I not clear the results vs. simply filtering them?
3. How do I lockout completely the Internet search? I've never had results from it in 5.xx and have never had results that throw this error when I go to download nor do I need this feature as I have Mimo/Giganews Diamond account for that.
4. Is the function of "Load older files" to grab from Internet search or, as expected, meant to display posts older than display age?
5. How can I be sure I am starting with empty results & only getting results from Local?

NBP 6.10RC 64-bit
Windows 7 64-bit SP1
Giganews
t3chnomanc3r
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/04/03

Re: Local search returns Internet results?

Postby dexter » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:41 pm

1) Newsbin defaults to Internet search mode, maybe it was in this mode and you didn't notice when you performed a search
2) Try right-click/Clear List
3) Make sure it never says "Internet" in the Search Mode field. The issue in #4 may explain this though.
4) Looks like a bug. The Load Older button performs an Internet Search. When in Local mode, it should either be disabled or made to work with local searches.
5) Don't use the Load Older button.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Quade » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Yeah, load older only makes sense for I-Search.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby t3chnomanc3r » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:34 pm

OK, sorry for the late reply. This all makes sense and I have been learning to deal with the new versions differences & quirks over the past few month since I posted.

I will be posting a few questions after I scan to see if they have been asked concerning download paths & auto-unrar.
t3chnomanc3r
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/04/03

Return to V6 Technical Support