Show special - Reload from disk - what is going on?!!

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Show special - Reload from disk - what is going on?!!

Postby RayMark » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:55 pm

A direct "Show special" button is VERY important to me. Sometimes I am using it hundreds of times a day.
It also MUST remember the last used values.

So in 6.x, "Show special" was hidden at the bottom of a scroll list, and now it does not even work anymore two times in a row - a dummy month range has to be used before it can be used again. But then it does not preserve the last entered values.

"Reload from disk" seems to be the same as "Show special" - maybe not by its functionality, but from the point of view of a user - not sure about its speed, though.
But still, "Reload from disk" also does not preserve the last used values. It is very important that it (or direct "Show special" button) does.

And if a certain month range was used before "Show special/Reload from disk" - perhaps have the values used for that month entered there. Or the values after "Load newer/Load older".
So that "Show special" always has the last used range already in, ready to be modified.

5.x had it right - "Show special" could be used any times you wanted to, and it opened with the last used values already typed in.

I don't know if there are some underlying data handling issues preventing the normal functionality of "Show special" in 6.x, or it is done just to drive me crazy...

BTW, there is no reason to show an error message if "From" number is lower than "To" number. Just swap them automatically for God's sake. Let us enter the range in any order without having to think each time what the right order is.

I hope I was polite enough, considering how frustrating it is not having the proper "Show special" button :)

Actually, my pretty frequent usage of "Show special" often (but not always) goes together with the global search: search globally, then open locally a very narrow range and download.
Perhaps this practice is no longer necessary in 6.x.
In 5.x - if you download something from global search directly - then those posts are not marked as downloaded in the local group tab opened later.
Perhaps 6.x is smarter in this respect.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Re: Show special - Reload from disk - what is going on?!!

Postby Quade » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:30 pm

You're not running the 6.1 release are you?

The problem I have with your posts isn't how polite you are. It's how much work it is wading through a wall of text that might or might not be related to what you're specifically asking for. You've accused me of not reading your questions when it's hard to even tell what your questions ARE in the text wall.

If I was to summarize your post I think you're saying.

1 - When I select download special, I have to select another range to allow me to select it again.

2 - I don't think it's remembering what I "download specialed" last between each application.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby RayMark » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:43 pm

We are speaking here about "Show special" - just choosing the range of posts to be shown in a group tab, not "Download special" for downloading headers

5.x had a separate button for it, and it remembered last used values. That was just perfect.
Now the button is hidden at the bottom of the scroll list, and it does not even work two times in a row.
Perhaps "Re-download" button could be used instead, but it also does not remember the last entered values.

I am using 6.10 RC1.
I assume the same is in RC6.
If not - sorry.
I have no right to raise any issues in older versions than RC6.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:47 pm

6.10 has been released, you should be running that one. It is at least 6 revs newer than RC1.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RayMark » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:03 pm

I think 6.10 release is the same as 6.10 RC6, isn't it?
The same build 1339.

I am using RC1 because I had severe problems with RC3-R6 (still not tested RC2), so it is my choice.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Ok, summary then is:

1 - When I select download special, I have to select another range to allow me to select it again.

Fixed in 6.1

2 - I don't think it's remembering what I "download specialed" last between each application.

Think it's fixed in 6.1 - If I interpret what you're saying.

3 - I'd like a button or shortcut to load up the load special window.

No facility for this. I might be able to do a shortcut. You can also use the "Load Newer" and "Load Older" buttons to feed newer and older posts into the current list.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby RayMark » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:24 pm

Quade,

When you call it "download special", I don't know if you are talking about the header download range I asked in another thread, or not.

Here I was asking about "Show special" to return to its 5.x functionality:
A separate button (not at the bottom of a list where you have to scroll to find it), and if I use it once on a group, I want it to remember the values it had when I use it the next time.
If my group is opened with the range 350,300, I want to have those numbers in "Show special" dialog as initial values when I open it again, not always the same 7,0 or similar.
You see, if I scan gradually a group using Show special with different ranges than you months, I don't want to make any mistakes, just to modify the values that are already there.

It was working this way in 5.x, nothing new.

It would be nice if you swapped the "From" and "To" if they are entered the wrong way, instead of issuing an error message.

Then it is very easy to go through a group, lets say, with the range of 50 days, let's go down by 50:

etc
You see - I only need to change one number, not both. But you do not allow that. Just swap them internally. "From" and "To" may mean both things anyway, depends from which end you are looking at them....
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:59 pm

"Download Special" = "Load Special" my bad.

Try 6.1, it's not getting fixed or changed in 6.0.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby RayMark » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:08 pm

Sorry.
I just tested with 1339.
Yes, it is working as I want it to. Not as in RC1.

Three improvements would be very welcome, though:

1. To have the "Show special" button directly, not hidden at the bottom of that list.
But perhaps it is the same as using "Reloaod" button which is already there directly? Or Reload is slower?

2. It should also remember that "Enter day range" was last used. It opens each time on "Use calender".
Just one mouse click, but still, each time completely unnecessary mouse click, hundreds of unnecessary mouse clicks eventually.
Or the preference Day range/Calender could be in options. In ini file at least.

3. Allow the day numbers ("From" and "To") in any order, just swap them yourself.
When you show the last used values, it is not important to preserve the typed-in order, you may show them already swapped your way.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support