Repair Failed message at beginning of download?!?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Repair Failed message at beginning of download?!?

Postby Shashu » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:13 pm

I've been using v6.0 with no issues. When you add a file from nzb to download, the program begins downloading in sequence, with the par files paused until needed. Once Newsbin determines it has enough data to repair (if necessary) and unrar, away it goes! perfection! Huzzah!

I've upgraded to version 6.10 build 1339 and now it IMMEDIATELY states (in status column) that 'Repair Failed/Need More PARS 0%: Completed'. It then proceeds to download all of my rar files, and pretty much gives up from there. No attempt to repair, no attempt to unrar. To top it off, it keeps the par files in 'paused' status and moves on to the next line item. At this rate I am going to have to rollback to 6.0.

Anyone else seeing this? I've checked my options, and they don't seem to have changed. It should be working as it was before.

If anyone can recommend a fix before I do the rollback it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
-S
Shashu
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/22/11

Re: Repair Failed message at beginning of download?!?

Postby Quade » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:22 pm

Exit, Delete the autopar2.db3 file, try again.

It probably means the PARS are bad. If you want to PM me the subject and group, I'll check it out.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby DEEPCONTACT » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:03 am

I am having the exactly same problem. and it is doing it with any Nzb I try to download. I tried with old files I know they worked perfectly before and it keeps giving me that message on the status bar.
My PC is newly formatted and the first thing I have installed is the Newsbin 6.10, using GIGANEWS Diamond member.

I will try that solution see how it goes.

Thank you.
DEEPCONTACT
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/16/08

Postby DEEPCONTACT » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:16 am

Hello Quake, when you say that the pars are bad, do you mean that the pars are bad from the server? That is not a Newsbin issue?, I just find it strange that all the post I try to download are bad. Some of them are just 6 days old. I tried to do what you proposed and the problem persist.

The strange thing is that it is on the beginning of the download.

Hope that anyone knows how to fix this or know whether the problem is in the group or in Newsbin.

Thanks
DEEPCONTACT
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:00 am

PM me some examples and I'll try it. The solid majority of pars are good and I'm not getting the errors you are but, some pars aren't posted incorrectly. Meaning it's not Newsbin or Giganews fault.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby tonyself » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:55 pm

I believe I am suffering from related problems since I have upgraded to 6.10

Firstly, I am using Newsdemon and Astraweb. I currently connect to 4 different servers (2 newsdemon and 2 Astraweb) although I only download headers from the european Astraweb server. I use nzb files to start my downloads.

I have noticed the following problems: -

1. Sometimes Newsbin fails to download a block from a specfic server. Newsbin does not appear to try and download this block from a different server. If you try to get Newsbin to Retry the rar file nothing appears to happen. I have got around this problem by using the "Assemble Incompletes" on the rar files with missing blocks. This then triggers Newsbin to load the appropriate number of par files and perform a repair.
    2. If a download is incomplete and Newsbin is exited and then restarted. Newsbin does not appear to remember the status of the rar files downloaded before newsbin was previously exited. Instead Newsbin tries to redownload each rar file. After it has redownloaded the first block of the file it either marks the file as completely downloaded or if the file was incomplete it redownloads all the blocks that had been previously downloaded plus the previous imcomplete blocks. A lot of the initial block downloads seem to hang up and take an age to redownload.

I hope this helps disgnose these problems with 6.10.

Regards

Tony Self
tonyself
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/08/02

Postby DEEPCONTACT » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:28 am

Much better explanation than mine.
Hey Tonyself, when you try "assemble incomplete" does it work everytime and Newsbin repairs these files?

Thank you
DEEPCONTACT
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby tonyself » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:25 pm

DEEPCONTACT wrote:Much better explanation than mine.
Hey Tonyself, when you try "assemble incomplete" does it work everytime and Newsbin repairs these files?

Yes, so far has worked each time.

Have now upgraded to 6.11 and problem is still there.

Tony
tonyself
n00b
n00b

Postby DEEPCONTACT » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:44 pm

Thank Tony, the problem persist even if the post are the real thing, other post are of course spams and so.

i try to update aswell.
DEEPCONTACT
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DEEPCONTACT » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:51 pm

nope, still there.
DEEPCONTACT
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DEEPCONTACT » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:12 am

Would it be possible to install older versions? like Nb v5?

Another question is that: if the problem is with Par Autopar, could it be something like that that is making trouble?

Do you need the Winrar program for the Autopar and to work? If that is so, could the new version of Winrar create conflicts?

This problem occurred when i updated to version 6.0 then i formatted my Pc and installed windows and son on cause i thought that maybe some program was messing with Newsbin, the first thing I installed was Newsbin and the problem didn´t go away, that is why i am so concerned. I cannot download any post, it just says the same thing, even if it is new or old or just from a few hours. Other users report that there is no problem with the post, but it does with me. Well me and Tonyself.

It is just a little frustrating that i am paying subscription to giganews and i am not getting what i am use to have.

Dont get me wrong..love newsbin! ...
DEEPCONTACT
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:34 am

You can revert to 5.59 if you want to. I'm not sure that'll solve your problem though. Can't hurt to try. I'm having a hard time understanding the problem mainly because it's not happening here. I have 3 servers, one server fails everything, one server is giga and one is astra. So my downloads all have errors (I've tried with and without the failing server) and I'm not getting the problems you are.

So, that's sort of left me stumped. I don't get any errors in the logging tab at all from either server good. Dex has tried some of these and he's not seeing it either. I've tested fill server mode and the mode where a failure is retried from other servers. It seems to be doing what I expect.

I'll have to think about it some more.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby DEEPCONTACT » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:40 am

Thank you quade, i will try to revert back to 5.59 and will get back to you. Thank you. I am just running Giga, diamond member.
DEEPCONTACT
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:49 am

If you can send me an NZB that fails in the way you are describing, I can try it here. Send it to ts at newsbin dot com
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Quade » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:59 am

I've asked Dex to look at it too. Maybe I'm just too close to the problem to see it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby DEEPCONTACT » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:50 am

Hello Quade.

Something different happened.

I uninstalled v 6.11 and erased the newsbin data folder aswell, restarted my pc and so on. Then I´ve installed (just to take it step by step) v 6.0 and now i don't get "Repair failed" problem and neither with post that i knew that will get me the "repair failed" issue. So for now the problem is solved for me anyway.

But a new problem has aroused. Even if the post is completed, downloaded entirely and repaired it wont "unrar" at all, i have to use the "unrar/sample files" option for it to do it. I try with 3 post of diferent size and type.
I looked in the options menu and "unrar" is activated.

At least now i can download, but it just that it wont unrar. Doest it takes a long time for unrar to start after the post is completed?

Thank you and sorry i am such a pain.
DEEPCONTACT
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DEEPCONTACT » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Could the error of "repair failed" be because after reformatting my pc I installed v 6.10 in stead of 6.0? Maybe the issue is resolved installing 6.0 and then upgrading to 6.10 or 6.11.
I am observing something. I tried to download a post and i see that it needs to repair damaged parts. at first the repair status said R:0 and after 20 minutes now i can see that in the status R:6 , maybe it does unrar after all after it repairs the parts completely. I will wait and see.I thought that it didn´t took that log to repair. At least it seems that the "repair failed" issue is corrected now.

Just throwing theories out there.

Still now i am afraid of installing v 6.11, maybe the problem will resurface again.
DEEPCONTACT
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby tonyself » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:25 pm

Guys, I hope I haven't been confusing the issue.

Although I have seen the "repair Failed" message, I think my main problem is with the retry logic. In the previous version I remember seeing a visual feedback when Newsbin was retrying to download a block. Also Newsbin would turn the succesfully downloaded blocks grey and the failed blocks red after a predetermined number of retries.

With version 6 I am not seeing this. It appears only to try with one server. Now it could be that some of my connections are being throttled by my ISP and Newsbin is getting a response, but just very slowly. My problem is Newsbin is not showing that a particular server is causing the problem, that would be quite clear from the pattern of successfully downloaded blocks and its not showing the same retry activity I had seen in the past if particular blocks were causing problems.

The second problem is Newsbin not remembering what blocks had been downloaded, if you exit Newsbin before it has completed a full NZB. When you restart it downloads the first block of each file before determining whether the file has been previously downloaded.

Hope this helps

Tony
tonyself
n00b
n00b

Postby DEEPCONTACT » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:42 pm

tonyself wrote:The second problem is Newsbin not remembering what blocks had been downloaded, if you exit Newsbin before it has completed a full NZB. When you restart it downloads the first block of each file before determining whether the file has been previously downloaded.

well the not remenbering the parts that has downloaded i can relate to that too. (but i am so new at this that i thought that that was normal behavior).

The post that i am trying to download Still are on my downloads queue, the repairs files on the status bar has gone from 0 to 10 in one post and from 0 to 7 on the other but it has taken all this time for that.(around 1 hour and a half) That is too long for the repairing of parts.

Does it ring a bell to anyone?
DEEPCONTACT
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:43 pm

DEEPCONTACT wrote:...but it has taken all this time for that.(around 1 hour and a half) That is too long for the repairing of parts.

Maybe. What type of machine is this? What else is it doing? If you are running Newsbin in the background while you are playing a game, it can take that long. Repair is very CPU intensive.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DEEPCONTACT » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:55 am

Hello Dexter, i have 3 computers at home. I formatted one of them and only had installed Newsbin. Nothing else is running.

Dell Dimension
Pentium dual core 3,0 Mhz
Windows vista ultimate 32 bits
4Gb Ram
2 HD 500GB each

Anyway, the problem with "repair failed" is gone with version 6.0 but other came up. It doesn't unrar automatically and i have to do it manually. when i erase a post it doesn't ask me if i want to erase it for the hard disc aswell. I had newsbin since 2008 (i think) with Giganews and i had never encountered any problems at all. I had newsbin on this computer 3 years now running smoothly and since the 6 versions,I came up with these problems.

I know i am an isolated problem compared with other ones more people are having, But after a smooth ride all these years with newsbin, is just irritating that i cannot localize the problem.

Still I am going to revert to 5.59 and see what happens. I appreciate your help, i am going to revert and I will tell the results.
DEEPCONTACT
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DEEPCONTACT » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:07 am

Love newsbin but to be sure where the problem lies, I tried with another newsreader program and it worked fine, got the post, pars, and unrar perfectly with no problems where newsbin had many. So I have to guess that the problem is with newsbin and nothing else. I just don´t have any ideas what It could be.
DEEPCONTACT
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DEEPCONTACT » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:08 am

Well after trying useful and not so useful things, i am keeping v 6.0. I don't see any solution and I am sure that the problem is with newsbin because other newsreaders wok fine, i think is just logical, the only problem is that those other programs are not NEWSBIN. With version 6.0 It downloads only, doesn't unrar or complete repairs, takes a hole night to repair and never finish. When I unrar with the option Unrar/sample files after a successful unrar doesn't erase the rars and so on. That is it. I am done. Everything points that the UNRAR tools do not work, even if it has always before. Maybe is something i am missing on my computer, i just don't know.

Because nobody else had this problem and other problems are obviously more important because of the number of users affected by it, my only exit is to wait to other versions and see if the problem is fixed.

Thank you for the help guys.
DEEPCONTACT
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:02 am

Have you tried deleting the autopar2.db3 file - I was not sure? I have found that if that file is damaged it can cause the autopar/autounrar to stop functioming - and deleteing and allowing it to be created afresh buy Newsbin can fix the problem.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:51 am

Maybe you should come to the irc channel some time when I'm online. I just don't have a handle on the failure mode. I downloaded 20 gigs yesterday with no issue. Maybe working through it a step at a time would reveal what the problem is.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby DEEPCONTACT » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:27 pm

itimpi wrote:Have you tried deleting the autopar2.db3 file - I was not sure? I have found that if that file is damaged it can cause the autopar/autounrar to stop functioming - and deleteing and allowing it to be created afresh buy Newsbin can fix the problem.

Hello Itimpi, yes i did that every time, and it didn't work as i mention on other post I formatted my computer to repair the issue and now I have formatted it again

GOOD NEWS...I formatted my computer again, and now it works like a charm. Its fast... its pretty...it does unrar...is like the old times...its... Newsbin.
I cannot know what was wrong the first time i formatted my computer, and before that, but now it runs smoothly. I just using v 6.0, i am a little afraid to install the others.

The only thing I did different this time was not installing Winrar beta version and i have upgraded to the last version of NET framework, I was missing the last update on the first formatting, not that I think it helps, but maybe.

Well Thank you for your help, i hope no one gets this problem at all in the future...specially me.

Thanks.
DEEPCONTACT
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:12 pm

Newsbin doesn't use WinRAR or .Net so, this isn't likely to be related.

Next time something like this happens. If you come to the IRC channel, we could work through it one step at a time.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby DEEPCONTACT » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:21 pm

ok Quade, thank you
DEEPCONTACT
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support