Unable to download posts, please help!

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Unable to download posts, please help!

Postby R3V3Ri3 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:24 am

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all having a good day.

Newsbin Software: v6.11 B1342
Windows: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Usenet: Newsdemon

I am in need of some help as i have been experiencing some issues downloading through Newsbin. I have been recieving the following error messages in the logs:

[13:46:17] ERROR - AssembleFiles: No Filename - Filename from subject:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" yEnc
[13:46:17] ERROR - INT_AssembleFile: Assembly Failed [12042]-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" yEnc

I then also start getting the error message below repeatedly :

[13:46:23] HIGH NNTPSocket - Socket HandleError - Server: us-secure.newsdemon.com SendCommand - Server Reports that a Post isn't on the server: 430 No Such Article

I have been speaking to Newsdemon Tech support all day yesterday and this morning aswell. They have no issues with their server and i have tried all of their servers and ports but still no joy.

One thing to notice is that i AM able to download latest posts but not anything older then i think 30days.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.
R3V3Ri3
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Unable to download posts, please help!

Postby Quade » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:41 am

We looked into something like this the other day. The posts in question were all missing the first chunk which is typically how news servers handle DMCA requests. The fact you're seeing 430 errors, suggests that might be the case here too.

If so, you'll need to hope you have enough PAR files to fix these files. If you hit the + sign on the download list item and notice that the first chunk of every file has turned black, this is likely the problem.

6.11 has a "Test Download" function in the post list right click menu. If you select a set of files and "Test" the download. It'll tell you how much of the file the server can deliver.

I'll simulate this here and get back to you.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby R3V3Ri3 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:51 am

Thanks for your quick reply Quade.

I executed the "Test download files" as you said but even with that its constantly putting out 430 error messages.

Thanks
R3V3Ri3
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:12 am

The 430 errors are coming from NewsDemon. They're saying "I don't have the part of the file you're asking for". It sounds almost like the whole file is simply missing from the server. When you contacted them and mentioned the 430 errors, what did they say? You ought to be able to right click the file in the post list, "create NZB" and send that NZB to them to check why it's not working.

- Servers are sometimes required by law to remove files.
- Not all servers keep the same number of files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby R3V3Ri3 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:26 pm

I have now been asking virginmedia who also sent their engineer to test my broadband and i have also tried switching to giganews diamond service. Tried their mimo and vpns and all sorts but there are sooo many posts that i STILL cant download Image link not allowed for unregistered users . Any other virginmedia users having this issue? i just cant think of anything else that i could be doing wrong here. Any suggestions would be really appriciated..
R3V3Ri3
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:47 pm

This has nothing to do with your ISP. It's between you and the news servers.

Email me one of these NZB's you're using. "ts at newsbin dot com". Don't zip it first.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby itimpi » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:37 pm

I use VirginMedia with no problems (other than the fact that VirginMedia speedcap during prime time) in conjunction with Astraweb news servers.

As Quade said, though, if you are getting 430 errors these come from the news server and are nothing to do with VirginMedia.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:56 pm

13:46:17] ERROR - AssembleFiles: No Filename - Filename from subject:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" yEnc
[13:46:17] ERROR - INT_AssembleFile: Assembly Failed [12042]-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" yEnc

I did some research today and was able to trigger this when not even a single chunk of the file could be downloaded from the server. So, I'd guess that all of the chunks of this file were being 430'd (server saying it doesn't have it) and that's what triggered this message.

It's misleading in Newsbin and I need to both fix the message and make what's happening clearer.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby R3V3Ri3 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:51 am

Thanks for checking that Quade. People are saying that this sounds more like a problem with news provider but i also tried Giganews and using its Mimo. I search for an article in Mimo and it shows me 40 results but 35 out of them i cant download. In Mimo when i click on an article which i CAN download, it shows me file headers when i click on "File information view" at the bottom, but for most of them which i CANT download, when i click on them, it doesnt show any header information and i get a message in that pane saying "Header Failure: Failed loading headers from server" . This has never happened to me before hence i believe there to be a problem somewhere. The speed cap from virginmedia is not a problem for me any more its just this.
R3V3Ri3
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:10 pm

Sounds to me like you're downloading files that have simply been removed from the servers. Newly posted files, as in the past day or so, probably won't have been removed yet so, I'd try some new files. Might want to give "Astraweb" a try and see how things work.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby R3V3Ri3 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:33 pm

I dont believe when it comes to retention any of the other providers can beat GigaNews. I have also tried the latest torrents which are week old but still having the same problem. Also, if there is a problem with GigaNews or NewsDemon then there should have ALOT of people complaining about the same thing.

I am now getting this another new message:

[19:27:55] LOW InterSocket - SSL Connection Server:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxStats:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA zlib compression 256 TLSv1/SSLv3
R3V3Ri3
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:59 pm

So, you think your PC is f'd up then? If torrents, which are completely different than newsgroups don't work, and usenet doesn't work. It sounds like your PC is the problem.

19:27:55] LOW InterSocket - SSL Connection Server:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxStats:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA zlib compression 256 TLSv1/SSLv3

Normal message.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support