Working with par2 files

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Working with par2 files

Postby silentguy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi! I have a problem with the way par2 files are handled. Not for the first time, he did not group together the par2 and the rar files. this means that if he finds the par2 files first, he downloads all of them cause it thinks there are a lof of parts missing. there seems no way to group together files or make the what belongs together detection any better, etc.
I personally prefer doing my own paring so i thought I'd just switch it off in newsbin, but then it ALWAYS loads all par2 files, which is even more annoying. I liked it the old way, having them on the wishlist and just manually starting the ones i wanted...
silentguy
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/31/08

Re: Working with par2 files

Postby DThor » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:27 pm

The only time I've seen pars being downloaded when they are first in the list is either when the post isn't processed properly(the primary files don't show as one entry, just a bunch of single files), or Newsbin has tried to download all the primary files and actually needs all the pars, or at least tries to. The vast majority of times when downloading and pars show up first in the download queue, it just snags the small par2 then moves on to the primary files. It only goes back and downloads the pars if it needs them. I guess the question is, why are you seeing something different?

It's fairly safe to say Newsbin 6 isn't going to go back to a micro-manage approach - v5 is there if you really want to spend your time doing that. However, you can disable autopar, it won't do any of this, and you can manually add things if you wish in that way. I'm wondering if you've already enabled that and that's what's causing your problems? Basically, don't add the pars if autopar is disabled?

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby silentguy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:00 pm

The "disable autopar and don't add pars" solution has the problem that usually the pars are already in nzb files and then i again end up with getting everything.

And my case stated above exactly fits your definition of "the post isn't processed properly". it said the nzb contained multiple posts, one consisting of the pars another for the .sfv, yet another for the .nfo and finally one for the rars.

oh well, it's kinda annoying but only happens sporadically so i'll survive. just wanted to point it out.
silentguy
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/31/08

Postby DThor » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:21 pm

There are always tweaks being done to add scenarios that currently don't parse well, it sort of depends on how tricky it is to add without screwing up the majority that does.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby itimpi » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:53 pm

I frequently find that the rar and par2 sets do not compact together. However this does not seem to matter as Newsbin seems to recognise that they are associated and does not download the par2 files unless they are needed. On successful decode it then removes both the compacted rar and the associated compacted par sets from the Download list at the same time.

Note that this is the behavior I see with 6.11 (or later) - I do not think it was like that in earlier releases.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Return to V6 Technical Support