'internet search' question

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

'internet search' question

Postby squib308 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Is there any way to search for something that has a dash in it? Suppose I was looking for something like 'fu-sucka.r??', whenever I search for it i get nothing back, but if i search for 'fu' or 'sucka' I get as many as you'll send me results which have nothing to do with fu-sucka.*. I assume that if there weren't so many other 'fu's and 'sucka's I'd encounter the files I was looking for somewhere, but since internet search only returns some limited number of files, from the most recent to where it hits the limit, it never shows up. I have tried using a "\" in the past, pretending like I'm conversant with regex expressions, but it didn't help. It was really annoying when I knew I'd seen the file in the groups I subscribe to, and I'd seen it not that long ago, within a couple months, but it's not found in local search, and downloading millions and millions and millions (!) of headers for all those groups to do a local search.. nggg.. maybe not.

somewhat related -
I know people have asked for this before, and I don't want to damage your revenue stream, so how about a slight change - for people already _paying_ for 'internet search', would it be possible to write some interface or plugin to another usenet search engine, like binsearch.info? (with them I have the same problem with not being able to find things with dashes, however. Erg!!) I appreciate binsearch.info's indexing of 'popular groups' and 'all the others', often finding obscure things in 'all the others'. They also are happy to index .jpg's and other files I don't usually see with newsbins 'internet search'.

(try looking for stereo 3d pictures, for example. often found in the .jps format, which is just a jpeg with two images in it side by side... not to mention, the people that post them really frequently are usenet amateurs and don't put the filename in their subject line. grr!)

Again, not trying to bypass your revenue model, but a suggestion on making things easier for users whilst maintaining your revenue model. Recently I downgraded my unlimited searches per month to the limited searches subscription. I understand that the value lies in the fact that the 'internet search' is integrated with newsbin, so if I'm having to go off to other websites to try to find something, then it looses a lot of that value. Aside from that I didn't need _that many_ searches a month, and would probably have been ok with the limited # from the beginning, and have saved myself a chunk of cash over the years.. oh well. (which reminds me, I need to cancel some crap I never use from comcast cable tv people.. not a lot of money, but if you add it up over time & don't get anything out of it.. )

Thanks
b
squib308
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/10/07

Return to V6 Technical Support