3 Questions....

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

3 Questions....

Postby haileris » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi

A few questions that I have been saving up :) Sorry if any are dupes!

1. Since moving to v6.11 there seems to be a lot of rar files in my chosen decode folder e.g. e:\decode\UnR5BF7.tmp. Its not really an issue (except sometimes I end up with two copies so I don't know which is the latest) but just wondering if this was something I have done or a "feature" of v6.11 that will be fixed as some point.

2. The age filter on internet searches does not appear to be working since moving to v6.11. So if I limit age of searches to say 7 days it displays everything that matches the text I enter. Is this a common issue?

3. Sometimes newsbin crashes and when I load it back the download list is days out of date. This is always the way it seems to work, it just isnt the once. Does this sound right and if it does any way of saving the download list more often?

Thanks as ever!!
haileris
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/06/15

Re: 3 Questions....

Postby Quade » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:00 pm

1 - Newsbin unrars to a temp folder and then moves the files to the final destination. If the move fails, it leaves the files in the temp folder. For example, it might fail to move if the files already exist or if the path is too long.

2 - I can't confirm this one but, I'm running 6.2 here. I'll ask dex to check too.

3 - I'd delete the downloads.db3 file which will wipe the download, failed and wish lists. It sounds like it's not able to write downloads to the download DB so, what you're seeing is old records.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby MichaelW_ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:55 am

Quade wrote:2 - I can't confirm this one but, I'm running 6.2 here. I'll ask dex to check too.

ooh ooh ooh When can I get 6.2 here too :>
MichaelW_
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/10/09

Postby itimpi » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:54 am

MichaelW_ wrote:ooh ooh ooh When can I get 6.2 here too :>

The first public beta release will probably appear in the Newsbin 6 Beta area of the forum quite soon.

Note You have to have entered your Newsbin key into your forum profile before you have access to that area.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby haileris » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:01 am

Quade wrote:1 - Newsbin unrars to a temp folder and then moves the files to the final destination. If the move fails, it leaves the files in the temp folder. For example, it might fail to move if the files already exist or if the path is too long.

I'm running two copies and previously I never ever had such a folder that I could see. If the unrar failed everthing was left on my D: drive (D: for downloads, E for decodes). Now I get loads, some empty, some have got files in.

Quade wrote: 2 - I can't confirm this one but, I'm running 6.2 here. I'll ask dex to check too.

That would be cool, still happening (for me anyway)

Quade wrote:3 - I'd delete the downloads.db3 file which will wipe the download, failed and wish lists. It sounds like it's not able to write downloads to the download DB so, what you're seeing is old records.

Hmm ok. It doesnt get really really old ones though so it is strange to me. It is not as though it hasn't write acesss to the files and it saves them and loads them correctly if I close and re-open.
haileris
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/06/15

Postby Quade » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:47 am

I'm running two copies and previously I never ever had such a folder that I could see.

That's because it wasn't using the temp folder before. Turns out that some people post RAR sets that contain a RAR that's the same name as the first rar in the download. If you unrar to the same folder as the download, this rar replaces the rar that was downloaded BUT, when Newsbin cleans the rars out, it also cleaned this new rar because it was the same name. It didn't happen if you unrared to a different folder so, unraring to a temp folder is the solution. As to why you get a bunch of left over temp folders, I don't really know. I've only seem temp folders when I'd already downloaded a file do, the unrar would have overwritten an existing file.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dexter » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:07 am

haileris wrote:2. The age filter on internet searches does not appear to be working since moving to v6.11. So if I limit age of searches to say 7 days it displays everything that matches the text I enter. Is this a common issue?

I am not able to recreate this. Where are you setting the limit to 7 days? If in the filter bar on the Search tab, is it enabled? The power button icon enables or disables the filters. Can you give me a step by step procedure to recreate this (using a generic search term).
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to V6 Technical Support