Newsbin Pro crashing a lot

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin Pro crashing a lot

Postby sdamaged » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:16 am

Since updating to the latest version i am seeing the "out of memory" crash every day, sometimes multiple times. It's getting to the point where the program simply isn't usable and i'm wondering whether it's time to look for a replacement

I have 8GB of RAM, and Newsbin Pro will routinely use over 6GB, then give me the error and close the program

Also, i am seeing a LOT of corrupted downloads. RAR files that are damaged, and it can't be a coincidence that this problem started happening at a similar time to the memory crash
Often my RARs will have only 2 of 10 blocks (as an example) and consequently i won't have enough PAR files to repair. Given that other people have downloaded these files successfully, i wonder if Newsbin Pro is the problem?

Is there anything i can do to give you more information?

Thanks
sdamaged
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/22/10

Re: Newsbin Pro crashing a lot

Postby DThor » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:53 am

Yeah, you've obviously got something horribly wrong your end since I've never heard of anything like this. Memory use is much lower in v6 over v5. It's just a guess, but Newsbin using that much memory might be the source of all the problems, perhaps it's making your system unstable.

Having said that, why is it using that much? Define your parameters, such as which os you're running, 32/64, and how you're using the program to result in such over the top memory footprints. I've never seen it hit 1G. How are you measuring memory use? Are you running a VM? Lots of people having problems mention things like that as an aside 5 back and forths into the thread, so don't assume anything.

Also, debug the problem - remove the primary variable - don't do whatever you're doing that's causing the memory use, see if all the other issues go away. Check the logging tab. If you're not doing anything heavy duty but your system claims regular 6G usage by Newsbin, you've got something compromised on your system.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby sdamaged » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:04 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

I'm not doing anything unusual (as far as i am aware!)

It's a normal Win7 Ultimate x64 machine that just sits and hosts media / files to my computers around the house

I've got 276GB in the queue at the moment and it's currently using 3.5GB of RAM (according to task manager, which i suspect will grow and then crash!)

I had a download in the queue which had a lot of RAR files which were never quite downloaded i.e 152MB of 156MB and a bunch of PARS that never got downloaded. If i try to assemble incompletes it crashes right away
sdamaged
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/22/10

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:37 am

I had a download in the queue which had a lot of RAR files which were never quite downloaded i.e 152MB of 156MB and a bunch of PARS that never got downloaded. If i try to assemble incompletes it crashes right away

This is the key. Lots of partial files. Why are they failing to assemble? 430 errors? Do you see black boxes when you expand the list items or red?

[SETTINGS]
MemCacheLimit=0

In the NBI file, I think I'd try adding this option and see what happens. This will reduce how much of the file Newsbin keeps in memory.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support