Fill server misbehaving

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Fill server misbehaving

Postby anexperience » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:41 am

Hi
I currently use 3 usenet providers, 1 free from my ISP, giganews on a monthly subscription, and astraweb where I pay by amount downloaded.

the astraweb account is set as a fill server.

My ISP is very fast but only has about 14 days retension (it seems to be limited by size so this fluctuates), I have it set longer than this as it grabs missed files and posts from other servers sometimes long after post date.

Here is what happens, My isp races through files turning them all red as they are not available on the server, but then both my giganews and astraweb servers share downloading of these unobtainable files even though they are all available on giganews and astraweb is set as a fill server.

it works fine when the files are available on my isp, then downloading is shared between isp and giganews.

I have only recently moved over to version 6 so it could be doing something dumb...
anexperience
n00b
n00b

Re: Fill server misbehaving

Postby Quade » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:52 am

The issue is that the ISP server failed them and this kicks on fill mode. It's going to require more granular tracking to make the fill only work when both other servers fail. I'll have to think about it. It's doable. Just have to make sure it doesn't break anything else.

One option for now would be to disable the ISP server. It's going to require some code to fix.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support