Unable to delete messages when 1,400,000 displayed in group

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Unable to delete messages when 1,400,000 displayed in group

Postby Bismark » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:14 pm

i have grouped a number of newsgroups and hardly look at the group. Today, I opened the group and there were over 1,400,000 messages. I was unable to delete any messages from this large collection of messages. I selected some and right clicked and selected delete messages. I got the "OK" box, checked OK, it went away, but the messages remained. I had to go to each newsgroup separately and delete messages to reduce the size.

Also, many of the messages were from posters who I have indicated to delete all. I wonder if Newsbin could just delete those messages as it encounters them, rather than my having to delete them each time I download new messages.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/27/10

Re: Unable to delete messages when 1,400,000 displayed in gr

Postby Bismark » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:17 pm

BTW: I am using Newsbin 6.20B4, build 1456
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby itimpi » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:52 pm

I believe that deleting is a background process so can take some time to complete. Maybe you just did not leave it long enough?

Have you locked out the poster you mention? If you had then the messages from that poster should never appear as the headers should never have made it into the header databases.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Bismark » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:02 pm

I gave it plenty of time. In fact, I tried a number of times with varying amounts of messages including one message. I also tried to use the delete all message command, none worked.

I think that locking out a poster does not cause new messages to go to the database, as I have locked out many posters and still get their new messages, but they are marked with a red indicator on the left. To see the deleted messages in your database, you have to toggle the button to the left of the filter profile drop down, bu they are clearly there if you know how to look for them.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:43 am

Poster lock out behaves like an invisible filter, which is why I don't use it (applies a filter for every display), and doesn't stop those posts getting saved to the spool files. Not sure why you're having trouble, I delete posts all the time. At some point I suppose it's possible you're pushing your system too hard, or perhaps the spool files are pooched? I take it based on your subject this just happens with large post displays? If you load smaller amounts, it works fine?

My first thought was the same as itimpi's, needed to do a lot of io.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to V6 Technical Support