Unable to download a complete post

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Unable to download a complete post

Postby wolfstar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:10 am

I've been using newsbin for years without a prob but over the last couple of days every post I try to download tests bad and others are downloading the posts fine? If it was just the odd one or 2 I'd say it was the posts but over a dozen so far and yet to have 1 successfully complete a download :( I use Giganews and am running v6.20 RC2, I've also tried a complete uninstall, reboot and reinstall and the same thing happens.
wolfstar
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/23/07

Re: Unable to download a complete post

Postby itimpi » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:52 am

What virus checking software are you using? This seems to be the most common culprit for bad downloads as more of them seem to be actively interfering with downloads from newsgroups. Since virus checkers are commonly set to auto-update this is one item in your environments that can change without you realising it.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby wolfstar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:39 am

I'm using Kapersky Internet Security.
wolfstar
n00b
n00b

Postby itimpi » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:03 am

I believe I have seen posts to the effect that Kapersky is one of the ones known to interfer with Newsbin. In particular I think it is one that gets between Newsbin and the server and thus tends to corrupt downloads. For some reason more of the virus checkers seem to be doing this rather than simply checking the downloaded files.

You need to make sure that Newsbin and the ports it uses are excluded from scanning. You could also try temporarily disabling Kapersky to see if that really is the culprit.

Inerestingly enough the one that currently seems to be the least intrusive is the (free) Microsoft Security Essential product. This is not one something commonly associates with Microsoft :)
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby wolfstar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:55 am

I tried disabling it to no effect, newsbin keeps reporting the following;

[21:50:08] HIGH NNTPSocket - Socket HandleError - Server: news.giganews.com SendCommand - Server Reports that a Post isn't on the server: 430 no such article
[21:50:08] HIGH Download Engine Giganews - INT_OpenItem -DL_DI - Failed to retrieve Article from Server::Giganews
[21:50:08] HIGH NNTPSocket - Socket HandleError - Server: news.giganews.com SendCommand - Server Reports that a Post isn't on the server: 430 no such article
[21:50:08] HIGH Download Engine Giganews - INT_OpenItem -DL_DI - Failed to retrieve Article from Server::Giganews

I know this isn't true because I download these posts regularly without a problem and others seem to be able to get the complete article from giganews and it's not just one post doing this it's every single post I try, both using nzb files and the internet search feature in newsbin, very frustrating :(
wolfstar
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:54 am

Well, sadly, it *is* true because that message is actually from the server. It means you've contacted it, it acknowledges you as someone entitled to use it, and it's specifically responding back that the article you've requested isn't there. Not sure what you mean by downloading posts regularly - every post is a different post - you wouldn't be downloading the same thing over and over again. Couple of reasons they can go away - usually either you've reached the edge of retention, or there's been a DMCA takedown. However, this isn't a problem with Newsbin, antivirus or your connection to the internet - it actually indicates a proper connection to the server.

I'm a little skeptical that 'everything' you try to download is giving you this message, unless you're doing nothing but pulling very old posts. Maybe try stopping Newsbin, renaming downloads.db3, and restarting? That's all I can think of.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:04 am

Did you read the rest of the topic? Does it look like a DMCA takedown?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Badcar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Add news-europe.giganews.com as fill server.
Badcar
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby wolfstar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:52 pm

Badcar wrote:Add news-europe.giganews.com as fill server.

This seems to have fixed the prob, thanks :D
wolfstar
n00b
n00b

Postby cosmo4u » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:08 am

i seem to be having the same issuses as of two weeks ago.

im running 6.20rc1 b1494

files seem to be hanging in the Download column and says failed needs more files, yet when I run the .par files I get the repair not needed. This seems to only be happening on the larger .rar files

im going to run the europe as a fill server and see what happens. Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome

thanks

cosmo4u
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.”
—Rogers Hornsby
cosmo4u
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/16/07

Return to V6 Technical Support