Newsbin not creating folder

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin not creating folder

Postby meech73 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:15 am

Not sure what I did, or how I did it, but now when I start a DL it is throwing all of the files into one folder instead of creating a seperate file folder for each DL. I have checked the settings and messed around with them but cannot figure out what I changed.

Version 6.2 64 bit
meech73
n00b
n00b

Re: Newsbin not creating folder

Postby Quade » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:34 am

Not enough information.

NZB, Headers or search?

What kind of folders are you expecting it to use? NZB Filename or group name or what?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby meech73 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:23 am

Generally when I would download files in the past it would create a file folder in my DL's area with Either the search name (Yabsearch) or the name of the file (NZBCLub). Now it just throws all the DLed files into the one folder and does not create any sort of folder.
meech73
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:59 pm

Look in the NZB options. You can set paths for files that come from NZB files there. You're not actually saying it but, I think you're using NZB's.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby meech73 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:16 pm

I am using NZB's I will let you know how it turns out.
meech73
n00b
n00b

Postby meech73 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:50 pm

That was it, thanks Quade. Not sure how I unchecked it though.
meech73
n00b
n00b

Postby neofit » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:19 am

meech73, you didn't uncheck anything, the default behaviour was changed in the latest update.

Previously, we defined a <download_folder>, then checked the "Add group name to Download Folder" option, all files would go to <download_folder>\<group>\. Then, I don't remember if there was a specific checkbox to control that, but if the file was an archive, it was uncompressed into <download_folder>\<group>\<archive_filename>\.

With the latest 6.2x update, the <archive_filename> part that used to be automatically added has apparently become optional, and the corresponding checkbox is unchecked by default, which confused the both of us and I don't know how many others. IMHO a behaviour that becomes optional in an update should come with the default tuned to work as it used to.

Anyway, IMO this is a good change with a drawback. On the one hand, with the new system, the <download_folder>\<group>\ is much cleaner. All the unfinished files are inside their respective directories, and we don't have the old mess with some nfos or sfv or whatnot ending up in different directories. On the other hand, in the previous system, I knew that if I had a subdirectory inside my <download_folder>\<group>\ folder, it meant that I had a finished file in there, ready to be moved elsewhere. But now I have a subdirectory for every download that was started, for every par2, sampled or postponed file (I sometimes like to move them up and down in the download list), so I have to regularly go into each dir and look for an .nb2 file there. Even if there aren't any there one cannot be sure unless he looks into the the download list. There may be some .partxx.rar files, but are they currently being un-rared, or did this post consist of an archive inside an archive and this post is done and ready to be moved? (oh, and didn't we have a specific tab in the old interface just for the autopar to monitor such activities?

So, to sum things up, with subdirectories being created left and right for each attempted download, looking for finished downloads has become somewhat tedious. And no, unchecking "Add NZB filename to download folder" will not solve the problem, it will create an even bigger mess, worse than in the old system. I have two suggestions:

1. add a checkbox to "automatically add NZB filename to uncompressed files" or something, to mimic the old system: unfinished files are inside <download_folder>\<group>\, then are uncompressed into <download_folder>\<group>\<archive_name>\.

2. better IMO, will make the new system perfect: flag the directory when it's done. All unfinished files are in <download_folder>\<group>\<post_name>\ as they are now, when it's done the folder is renamed to <download_folder>\<group>\DONE-<archive_name>\ for instance. I prefer the flag at the beginning for sorting. Or, since the unrar can fail, IMHO you still need to mark the directory, so we'll have for instance "KO-<archive_name>" or "OK-<archive_name>".
Or one can define a directory where to move the folders that were finished with success, but I am wary about automatic moving, space considerations, etc., and besides I'd rather see the "KO" folder clearly marked.

Sorry for the thread hijack, I am not sure if creating a new one would have been better.
neofit
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/05

Postby itimpi » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:52 am

Behaviour has not changed for a given combination of settings.

What may have changed (I am not sure) is the default settings. If so I expect this was an unintended side effect of something else.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby neofit » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:03 am

itimpi wrote:Behaviour has not changed for a given combination of settings.

What may have changed (I am not sure) is the default settings. If so I expect this was an unintended side effect of something else.

I don't know what combination of settings or behaviour you are talking about, there are a lot of settings in newsbin, but apparently the OP and I, with our settings, have ran into the following.

1. Before, all unfinished files went into <download_folder>/<group>. After un-raring, they went into <download_folder>/<group>/<archive_name>/, the last dir being automatically created.

2. After updating to 6.2x, and not changing ANYTHING in the settings, we notice that the <archive_name> is not being created anymore, and that the unrared files are inside the <download_folder>/<group>/ directory, mixed with a mess of other unfinished files. I go into settings->NZB and notice the "Add NZB folder to Download Folder" setting.
* If check it then everything, both the unfinished and the unrared files are inside the "<download_folder>/<group>/<archive_name>/" directory, whether they are finished or still being downloaded, autopared or unrared.
* If I uncheck it, then everything, both the unfinished and the unrared files are inside the "<download_folder>/<group>/" directory.

To reiterate, previously, only the unfinished files were inside the "<download_folder>/<group>/" folder, the finished ones went into "<download_folder>/<group>/<archive_name>/". I can't see how this is not a change in behaviour. And my post is an attempt at helping to identify the folders which are finished. If there is already a way to do it now then please help me.
neofit
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/25/05

Postby DThor » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:29 am

Hard to dig through what you're trying to say. First off, it really doesn't matter if something changed as a default and you can get it back to normal by clicking something on/off. Shit happens, there's a solution, change it and one can move on.

What I'm sensing, though, which is far more important, is that you can't get Newsbin to behave with the same downloads as you did before? At least it seems that's what you're saying. When you say 'archive name' in your description, can you elaborate? Do you mean a directory that's built into the rar file, so if you extracted the file manually, that would be there? That hasn't changed, AFAIK Newsbin respects whatever is stored in the rar file. Maybe I'm missing what you mean, though.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:40 am

* If check it then everything, both the unfinished and the unrared files are inside the "<download_folder>/<group>/<archive_name>/" directory, whether they are finished or still being downloaded, autopared or unrared.
* If I uncheck it, then everything, both the unfinished and the unrared files are inside the "<download_folder>/<group>/" directory.

I don't get this. Perhaps you're mixing autoload settings with the NZB path settings?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support