Asian Fonts

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Asian Fonts

Postby ragu » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:44 am

Hi I have been using newsbin for a couple of months now and like it a lot. I recently tried to use alt.binaries.korea and the majority of the subjects is garbled. I am pretty sure it is just not recognizing the Korean Font. Which leads me to ask, is there a way for me to make newsbin recognize the code for the fonts? I appreciate any help...
ragu
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/25/11

Re: Asian Fonts

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:09 am

What version are you using? 6.20 and 6.21 (earlier too) support a number of methods for handling asian fonts. One problem I've seen is that some people posting are posting naked unicode which is against the spec. Newsbin supports quotable printable and UTF-8 encoding of the subject. I've tried to make it support unicode too but, there's no obvious way to distinguish between unicode and not because when they post unicode, they're still no using the spec (no BOM).
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby ragu » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:12 pm

I am using 6.20. You mention that this version will support a number of methods for handling asian fonts. Is this somthing that I need to activate in the software or is that something already active. Is there a way to determine what type of unicode is being utilized by the poster. I played around with my computer language settings and was able to get a subject line like this "°­·Â¹Ý 15ȸ, ¸¶ÀÌ´õ½º" converted to its Korean font when I performed a "read post body" and the subject line got converted in the notepad to the korean font. So another question would be why can I read the korean font if a I perform a "read post body" shouldn't it be displayed correctly in the software. Also why do I need to adjust my computer language settings. I hope it is just something simple that I missing in the setup of the software. Thanks again for your help
ragu
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/25/11

Postby Quade » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Subject: ÇÏÀÌ¿¡³ª´Ô, ¿ÀÀÛ±³ÇüÁ¦µé 5ÀÏ,6ÀÏÀÚ °¨»çÇÕ´Ï´Ù^^

Is what I get when I read post body into wordpad. I wonder if you're forcing the language to parse it as unicode?

I just realized since I re-installed windows, I didn't install Japanese or Korean. I need to do that before I comment.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support