partial files don’t complete

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

partial files don’t complete

Postby alad26 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:35 pm

I just upgraded to 6.2 from 6.1, but this problem has been ongoing for some time now. If I open up a newsgroup when files are in the process of being uploaded I obviously get the yellow "incomplete". If I reload the group at a later time, even days later, a lot of posts that were partially uploaded in the previous session still don’t complete. That's still the case even if I hit the red download button. I know that the files are complete on my server (Newshosting) because I still have Grabit installed (just in case needed) and I'm able to find the complete file and download from there. Is there a setting in NB that I'm missing that will solve this issue?
alad26
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/13/10

Re: partial files don’t complete

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:47 pm

Look down at the "Cache:" entry of the status bar and see if you see "(NNN)" with numbers representing the N. Those number represent records needing to be imported into the header database.

As long as there's a number there, Newsbin is still importing headers into the database and you won't have the most current records. I don't know that this is the problem but, it's a good place to start. I can say using giganews as my server that the partial files do completed. It's possible that NH needs some header overlap.

Assuming you have no numbers, Set the "Download Age" setting to 4 then delete the "Range.db3" file for a group you have problems with and then download headers. If the files become complete. This suggests you might need some overlap from one header download to the next. There's an option for that. This will download the last 4 days of headers for this group and fill in any missing ones (just for the past 4 days though).

If this experiment completes the files. You might set an overlap of say 500 in the server options and see if this helps.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: partial files don’t complete

Postby alad26 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks for quick reply - nice to know I'm not the only one up at this time of night! I ended up going with your last option of deleting the db3 file and then catching up, which worked. Ive kept the download to 4 days and the server overlap at 500 and will see if that improves over the next few days. Thanks very much for your help.
alad26
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/13/10

Return to V6 Technical Support