NBP 6.20 Bugs

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

NBP 6.20 Bugs

Postby Quentin » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:12 am

Hi.

I thought I file in 2 small bugs I found in the current 6.20 release.

Bug 1:
If a download is found as a duplicate, it is moved to the error tab. But if I decide to say "no, please download it again - put it to download list bypassing filters", then the graphical progress bar is not working for this particular download in the download list tab. I only see the MBs rising. Same for the unpar/repair and unrar process of this particular file.

Bug 2:
Well, we can discuss whose bug this is. Unfortunately some people in Usenet started to pack files in a crazy way. In the last days I quite often get a RAR set, that contains 2 files:
movie.avi - 2 GB - the film
movie.avi - 50MB - the sample
So there are simply 2 files in the RAR set with exactly the same name, but different size (one the full sized file and one the sample). Now my problem: NBP 6.20 unrars and overwrites file 1 with file 2 without any notice or prompting. In the AUTOPAR/RAR settings tab there is not even a setting for duplicate files and renaming while unpacking - only while downloading. So I end up with the sample file having overwritten the complete file and according to my settings, NBP deletes the whole RAR set as unpacking was "a success". I'd really appreciate here a setting in the options that allows me to make NBP rename every duplicate file with (1), (2), ... as it does when downloading a file that already exists in the target folder.

So far from my side, if I find something more, I will add it to this thread :)

Best regards,
Quentin
Quentin
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/04/09

Re: NBP 6.20 Bugs

Postby DThor » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:02 am

#1 I've never seen, I'll try to repro, and as discussed on irc, that second example is a strange post, in fact I'm even questioning how it can exist. I'm reasonably sure it was two same named files in two different locations in the zip, but regardless, posting a primary and a sample with identical names is hardly what I would call becoming increasingly common, it's someone who's new at posting. You should probably pass on examples of this in irc to Quade if you really think this is an issue.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby joereger » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:34 am

I'm also seeing #2 a bunch more now too.
joereger
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/15/06

Postby DThor » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:53 am

PM samples, then. Nzb, or search terms and groups to find them.

As far as #1, I just downloaded something, then forced download a second time, it behaved fine, the progress display looked the same to me. I'm not sure what you're seeing.

DT
Last edited by DThor on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:56 am

Yeah I need samples. PM me a subject and groups. I can only guess they're doing it on purpose. Newsbin's got code in it that's supposed to rename files in cases like this.

I've seen another report of Bug #1 but, haven't been able to repro it. This means that it's probably there but, it's specific to some aspect of the post.

Thanks.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Kaigi » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:35 pm

I haven't found problem #2 [two items of same name in same archive], but I have found many instances where the contents of two different RARed posts have the same name (but different content), and I have set Newsbin to download both, the latter will overwrite the former without any notice or question. Last night it apparently overwrote the previous file[s] three times while unattended, so three of the four things I was trying to download were overwritten. It means that, basically, I have to be in attendance to download all four again - one at a time, renaming each of them manually, then start the next one. [Have to download all four, because enough other stuff had passed through Newsbin so that the 'Files' tab no longer showed me which was downloaded last.] This was also a problem with v5.

A 'simple' "automatically rename unRARed files if filename already exists" function would take care of it all [both his and my difficulty].
Kaigi
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quentin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:55 pm

Oh shit, seems you guys are waiting for an update from me. Sorry guys, was under heavy load at work these days (seems everybody wants to get done any critical stuff right before Xmas :D).

Since my reporting I never came across again on that RAR files with 2 equal file names in. Maybe the particular releaser was killed in his own board for this kind of nonsense. So currently it is hard to reproduce anymore, as I do not find other releases with this "issue". But believe me, I am a coder and not a rookie - I came across that issue, I stopped NBP to delete the RARs once successfully extracted and watched the files with WINRAR - and please believe me, I do not know how this guy did it, but he did: Winrar definitely showed two files of equal filename but different filesize. I think this is not even createable with Winrar, so he must have used any other tool to create those RAR sets.

The essence of my reporting was, and seems the person above this posting agrees, that the UNRAR option is lack of an option to do not allow overwriting files by extracting. I never tried, but at least older Windows versions with their limited path length also had this issue that filenames while extraction where shortened to fit into the max path length - so this one, if still available, might also be a possible issue if one ever faces it. Just thinking... a flag to have the UNRAR function either prompt or rename any files on name collision would be a great thing. If you do not want to call it "bugfix", then call it "feature request" - from my perspective it would be great.

Best regards.
Quentin
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/04/09

Postby Quade » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:30 pm

Yeah. Thanks for the reply.

Version 6.21 renames the first file so, they both end up being saved. I still consider it to be a flawed post but, this is a work around.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support