Timeout Wating for Server to Send Data

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Timeout Wating for Server to Send Data

Postby nahumnebo » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:58 pm

When I attempt to download newsgroup headers a few of the groups (a.b.e-books and a.b.sounds.mp3 for example) log the errors shown below and never complete:

[11:46:27] ERROR NNTPSocket - Server:news.giganews.com NNTPServer: Timeout - Waiting for Server to send Data: Socket - Read or Write Timeout
[11:46:27] ERROR NNTPSocket - SendCommand Worker - Server:news.giganews.comSendCommand - failed to Read Response From server: Socket - Read or Write Timeout
[11:46:27] ERROR NNTPSocket - Socket HandleError - Server: news.giganews.com SendCommand - Server Disabled Service on connection:
[11:48:28] ERROR Socket - Error: WSARecv Socket Error Code: 10060 A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
[11:48:28] ERROR NNTPSocket - Server:news.giganews.com NNTPServer: Compressed Headers - Timeout Waiting for Server to send Data: Socket - Read or Write Timeout
[11:48:28] ERROR NNTPSocket - Server:news.giganews.com NNTPServer: Timeout - Waiting for Server to send Data: Socket - Read or Write Timeout
[11:48:57] ERROR Socket - Error: WSARecv Socket Error Code: 10060 A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
[11:48:57] ERROR NNTPSocket - Server:news.giganews.com NNTPServer: Compressed Headers - Timeout Waiting for Server to send Data: Socket - Read or Write Timeout
[11:48:57] ERROR NNTPSocket - Server:news.giganews.com NNTPServer: Timeout - Waiting for Server to send Data: Socket - Read or Write Timeout

The version of Newsbin that I using is v6.20 build: 1513 on Windows 7 32-bit , a Silver Giganews account and ATT Uverse 12MB Dwn/3MB up. The other groups and downloading works fine. Do you have any suggestions of what I should try to clear up this issue?
nahumnebo
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/12/09

Re: Timeout Wating for Server to Send Data

Postby Quade » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:52 pm

Typically this means your software firewall is messing with the Data. This is a common problem with Avast and Kaspersky for instance. You might have to tell your firewall to leave the data alone.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby nahumnebo » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:02 am

Quade wrote:Typically this means your software firewall is messing with the Data. This is a common problem with Avast and Kaspersky for instance. You might have to tell your firewall to leave the data alone.

You were right it was Avast. Humbly thank-you very much. I really thought that I had tried that but it must have been my firewall only.
nahumnebo
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/12/09

Postby Quade » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:14 am

People sometimes act like I'm blaming firewalls because of problems in Newsbin but, I see this same thing every day. It's like the firewall companies want to stop Usenet downloading altogether.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby anfield » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:06 pm

Quade wrote:Typically this means your software firewall is messing with the Data. This is a common problem with Avast and Kaspersky for instance.
You might have to tell your firewall to leave the data alone.

How i can do it with Kaspersky Internet Security
anfield
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:53 pm

I only use the Microsoft supplied security software so I probably can't help. I'd suggest checking the web. I have to believe it's documented out there somewhere.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support