Download List Files Dissapear

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Download List Files Dissapear

Postby mariog » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:59 pm

Every time I close the newsbin. I had to do a reinstall on my computer, and now every time I open newsbin, the files which were in the donload list dissapear. I use Newsbin under a "user" type account and I think I had this problem before and the solution was to tell Windows to allows Newsbin to make changes, that is what I don't remember how to do, or whatever the solution was.
mariog
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/17/07

Re: Download List Files Dissapear

Postby Quade » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Exit Newsbin, delete the file "Downloads.db3" in the data folder. It's probably damaged.

If that doesn't work it might be permissions so, you could try right clicking the shortcut that starts Newsbin and hitting "Run as administrator" and then add some downloads. If that works, it's a permissions problem with the data folder.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mariog » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:17 pm

Running it as administrator does save the download files list, but it is a different one from the one I created as "User".

I have 2 accounts, 1 as "User" and the other as "Administrator", when I connect to the internet I do it as "user" to lower the chances of virus infection.

The directory where the NewsBin.nbi file is save, which is C:\Users\JoeUser\ApData\Local\Newsbin had a "Download.db3" file which I erased. when I closed Newsbin afterwards, it did not create a new download.db3 file. I have set up that directory so that JoeUser ahs permissions to do anything, except "special permissions" which Windows does not let me select.
mariog
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:16 pm

Do the other DB3's get updated and created? Start Newsbin as your regular user then in the options click "Open DataFolder" and see if it's the folder you think Newsbin is using.

This is working for everyone else so, you have something specific to your setup that's causing issues. You might even want to use "ProcMon" to monitor Newsbin's file IO and see you see errors.

"Run as Adminstrator" shouldn't be changing the data folder. I'm not asking you to log in as administrator, I'm suggesting logging in as the regular user and right clicking the shortcut and "Run as Administrator". That'll use the regular user's data folders and registry.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mariog » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:20 am

"Do the other DB3's get updated and created? Start Newsbin as your regular user then in the options click "Open DataFolder" and see if it's the folder you think Newsbin is using. "

Clicking on "Open Datafolder" takes me to the C drive which is NOT where the data is.
The NewsBin.nbi and GUIItems.db3 files get updated, they are in C\Users\JoeUser\AppData\Local\Newbin

"Run as Adminstrator" shouldn't be changing the data folder."

When I right click on NewsBin and select "Run as Administrator", windows asks me to logon into JoeAmin (my "Administrator" account), it doesn't give me the choice to run it under JoeUser with Administrator privileges.

"I'm not asking you to log in as administrator, I'm suggesting logging in as the regular user and right clicking the shortcut and "Run as Administrator". That'll use the regular user's data folders and registry."

See above
mariog
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:17 am

The folder it opened is the data folder. The data folder is defined in the NBI and the NBI doesn't have to be in the same folder as the data folder.

It doesn't look like you're clear on where the data folder is. The data folder is whatever the loaded NBI file says it is. It's possible you loaded some other NBI or edited the wrong NBI when you made changes.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mariog » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:18 am

"The folder it opened is the data folder. The data folder is defined in the NBI and the NBI doesn't have to be in the same folder as the data folder. "

Ok.

"It doesn't look like you're clear on where the data folder is."

It does look like your command of the English language is tenous at best.

Which part of "Clicking on "Open Datafolder" takes me to the C drive which is NOT where the data is.
The NewsBin.nbi and GUIItems.db3 files get updated, they are in C\Users\JoeUser\AppData\Local\Newbin" confuses you?

The data folder is whatever the loaded NBI file says it is. It's possible you loaded some other NBI or edited the wrong NBI when you made changes.
mariog
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support