install/upgrade problem

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

install/upgrade problem

Postby masimo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:20 pm

I tried to run an upgrade but may have killed it before it was complete. I was surprised by a huge number of old unfinished downloads starting up as soon as newsbin opened. I deleted them then shut down the server. When I started it again from the start menu the old server came up. I then tried to upgrade by running the upgrade again but instead of upgrading it uninstalled newsbin. At no point in the upgrade was an option offered for anything, not directory, not uninstall. The upgrade program has a mind of its own.

Now when I try to install newsbin it says unable to install is newsbin running if so shut it down and try again. But it isn't running. Is there something in the nbi file that says it is? I tried a new install by downloading the trial binary but same results and same filename. my nbi file is intact and complete but I have no idea if it was upgraded or not. The groups never came up before I shut the new newsbin down.

At this point when I start newsbin the old program comes up but cannot do anything. Most of the old directory was apparently wiped out by the uninstall.

'What do I do now?
Can I do a new install then move the old nbi file into the new directory?

Mike
Last edited by masimo on Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
masimo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/16/03

Re: install/upgrade problem

Postby dexter » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:08 pm

I'm having a hard time guessing what you may have done. How did you "kill" it before it was done? Did you just click cancel on one of the screens or did you kill it from the task manager or something? The installer has no uninstall capabilities in it, you have to explicitly run the uninstaller for it to actually remove anything. I honestly have no idea how you got it into this state based on your description.

All I can think of is reboot your machine then run the installer again.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby masimo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:21 pm

dexter wrote:I'm having a hard time guessing what you may have done. How did you "kill" it before it was done? Did you just click cancel on one of the screens or did you kill it from the task manager or something? The installer has no uninstall capabilities in it, you have to explicitly run the uninstaller for it to actually remove anything. I honestly have no idea how you got it into this state based on your description.

I shut it down by exiting the application normally.
The only binaries I have run are the old newsbin and the install.

All I can think of is reboot your machine then run the installer again.

I'll do that now.
masimo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby masimo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:33 pm

ok reboot not helpful. How does the installer determine there is another newsbin running? I think we need to get rid of that indicator. This time after reboot the only thing I have done is run the upgrade.

On the uninstall, I thought that because there appear to be fewer files in the directory. It didn't say it was uninstalling. Bad assumption on my part.
masimo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby masimo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:05 pm

got everything working now. did a fresh install then overwrote nbi file with old one and everything is good.

Mike
masimo
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:02 am

Cool, glad you got it worked out.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97