Incomplete guidance

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Incomplete guidance

Postby jaraxle » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi Guys. I am hopeful someone can give me some guidance on the issue I have recently started encountering. It’s somewhat hit or miss but I am getting incompletes on newer postings. It’s happened multiple times in the past couple of weeks. Let me tell you what I am doing.

I am searching and pulling down .nzb files from NZBMatrix. <something>-- both posted on 12/25/2011

I use Newsbin 6.21 / Quickpar with Astraweb

I run NZB Download Checker and it comes back showing all parts are there.

Newsbin goes through and pulls all the files down. Newsbin shows the files are complete.

I run Quickpar on JON and it shows 63 damaged files and missing 245 blocks.

I closed and reopened newsbin and it seems to go through a check of the files but never seems to pull down any more information. Still getting the errors.

Now some other files will download without issue. My question is, is there something wrong with both of these files out on the web? Is is my newsserver (astraweb)? –I saw on the astraweb portions of the forum that others were getting incompletes in the past.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
jaraxle
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/12/11

Re: Incomplete guidance

Postby Quade » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:13 pm

Don't post what you're downloading here. It's a bad idea for you and a worse idea for us.

Using Astraweb, I downloaded about 10 of the files that made up your download and they were perfect. Quickpar showed them to be perfect too. If you tell me a specific file index that's bad I can try it (...partXX.rar). Don't post the whole name. If you expanded the listing and did you see any red or black blocks during download? If not, I suspect the files are being damaged after they're written to disk.

What Anti-Virus are you using? What firewall? No error messages in the logging tab?

I closed and reopened newsbin and it seems to go through a check of the files but never seems to pull down any more information. Still getting the errors.

Once the file is down, Newsbin isn't going to add more data to it. It just checks it. You'll have to delete the file on disk to make Newsbin re-download it. Newsbin 6.21 checks the files before they're written to disk so, it's possible that they were perfect in memory and then corrupted after they landed on disk.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby jaraxle » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:35 pm

Thanks Quade for setting me straight on the posting guidelines. I didn't even think about that.
I have deleted a couple of the files that were shown as missing parts and attempting to re-download.
I am running Symantec Endpoint protection. I have checked the logs and everything is clean.
I am on a Dell D800 (older) laptop with about 30+ gigs of free space.
My connection is a wireless that is free at my condo complex so I don't get great speeds, like up to 7 Mpbs but usually around 4.
I will let you know if re-downloading some of the parts works.
Thanks again.
jaraxle
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/12/11

Postby Quade » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:40 pm

I am running Symantec Endpoint protection. I have checked the logs and everything is clean.

Just because you're not downloading viruses, that doesn't mean these tools don't mess up the download. Avast and Kaspersky are known to screw up downloads. When you have a problem one to download, keep an eye on both the logs and the color of the chunks that are downloaded.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Greenmind » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:14 pm

I've been having a similar problem since upgrading to V6. Basically, if I just double click a file or .rar set to download it, there is a good chance it will download with a lot of incompletes (red bars visible). If I right click and save to a different location it doesn't seem to have this problem. The same for if I right click the file in the download list and choose "change path". Saving to a folder based on name will also result in incomplete parts.

Also, if I use the search tab feature, I can never download anything without right clicking and assigning it to a new path. If I don't change the path it will either be incomplete or disappear after downloading.

I don't have any antivirus software enabled and only use Windows 7 firewall.
Last edited by Greenmind on Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenmind
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:23 pm

Also, if I use the search tab feature, I can never download anything without right clicking and assigning it to a new path. If I don't change the path it will either be incomplete or disappear after downloading.

Not clue on this one. It's pretty weird.

How about trying 6.3B2? It's pretty good and it changes how retries are done. Retries will now gate automatic assembly so, say you set 3 retries, it'll try up to 3 times to get the same chunk before it goes into automatic assembly mode. I think your issue is simply that you're getting errors while retrieving chunks of the file from the server.

If you don't want to try 6.3, you could try adding a copy of your current server, give it a new name. Then divide the connections between them and set the second server to "Don't download headers". This will make Newsbin try twice as hard to get each chunk of the file. Somewhat like what the retries does in 6.3.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support