Redownloaded headers and now nothing downloads

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Redownloaded headers and now nothing downloads

Postby mtruth » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:56 am

I had a system crash that wiped out my headers. So I have spent some time redownloading them after getting everything setup again.

The problem I am having is that when I put a new file in the download list, nothing happens. Items like info files, do nothing. The main download file shows that the par file is downloading but it doesn't download the file. It just sits there.

Is there something that I am missing? After spending a few days downloading all the headers in a few groups. To not be able to download is really frustrating.

Any ideas?

Any information that I can supply to help figure out what is going on?

Thank you!
mtruth
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Re: Redownloaded headers and now nothing downloads

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:14 am

You're probably not getting a connection to the news server. What does the logging tab show? Pause and speed limit might cause this too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mtruth » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:29 am

The headers are being downloaded on the regular schedule.

Nothing is showing up in the log that It is not connecting to the server.

I am getting nothing showing that I am not able to connect to the server.

I can download headers but not download articles.

Could it be that the system is taking a long time to process the headers. For example downloading alt.binaries.multimedia. The whole thing, would it take some time before those headers are ready for use?
mtruth
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DThor » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:42 am

If the headers are still being processed, you'll be seeing a very clear indication - the disk activity would be intense. I suppose it's possible that could be the issue, but not terribly likely. If you're having problems, the first thing to do is not try to do too much at once. Stop all the constant updating, let your spool processing get caught up. Then download something. It should work, if not there should be a message in logging or an indication in the status tab.

Certainly if you're saying it took days to get your headers, that could possibly mean a crapload of processing that needs to get done. Depending on your hardware, that could be beyond significant.
DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby mtruth » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:52 am

Running Windows 7, Intel Core i7 with 4 cores and 6 Gig of member.

I don't think it is the computer.

Right now, I tried redownloading the headers. So nothing I can do until that is done.
mtruth
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DThor » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:11 am

So, were you seeing a lot of disk activity? You're right, your computer isn't a one-lung machine by any means, but if you're asking it to take on a server-level task and expecting it to respond in realtime, it might as well be. It's all relative.

I strongly recommend you stop what you're doing immediately and not waste more days of downloading headers until you get this sorted. Under 'Options' set download age to 1, Right click on one group(keep it simple), delete all the stored posts, then 'download latest'. This should just grab the last day's worth. Now try some downloads. Newsbin is pretty good at telling you why something failed. Just 'nothing happens' is pretty rare. You said 'info files don't download' - well, this could be your global filter set to not downloading nfo files, for example. Or a minimim size. Check the filters for Global or any download filters you might be applying to the group. You said 'just sits there' - that can happen if there's missing chunks - you would seeing something to that effect in the logging tab. If you wait a bit, Newsbin will try to figure out if it can get enough pars to repair it. There are a couple scenarios where this might get 'stuck' though, for example, a completely missing rar file might cause this. And does this happen for everything you try to download, or you've just seen it occasionally?

Anyway, re-downloading the whole mess is unlikely to somehow fix whatever issue you're having. I'd hold off on that until you're clear things are working on a more fundamental level before doing all that processing...

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby mtruth » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:21 am

How do I go about deleting the stored posts?
mtruth
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DThor » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:23 am

Right click on the group, Post Storage/Delete Stored Posts

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:34 am

How about disabling the filters? That's the power switch looking thing in the post listing. Then restart Newsbin and try "Show all Posts" (right click). If the headers are downloading, they have be be getting filtered out I'd think. You can see import progress down in the "cache" line. A "(NN)" with numbers in the parens indicates how many blocks of records remain to be imported.

Had a report of this from someone the other day and it mysteriously solved itself.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mtruth » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:17 pm

I doubt it is the filters, because groups that aren't being filtered don't give me any issues.

Thank you for your help. I'm going to blow everything away and start over. The only thing I can think of to make it work.

I'm doing a rebuild from scratch and everything seems to be working.

Not sure what the problem was, but I want to thank you for your help and suggestions.

Cheers!
mtruth
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support