Incomplete files are getting assembled anyways

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Incomplete files are getting assembled anyways

Postby aesopp » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:53 pm

I'm new here and I'm running into a problem when using the newest version - 6.30B2. I'm downloading some art scans collections off a group, and it seems that some of the images cannot be downloaded completely. Unfortunately, the poster didn't include repair files. Most files are coming over fine, but some images have sections that are red under the "current progress" box, unlike the good files that are all green. They get "Stuck" there for a short time in the list, as others are downloading, then they seem to be assembled incomplete anyways, and automatically disappear from the download list, and so the corrupted incomplete images are being mixed in with the good images, so it's impossible to tell what's okay and what's not unless I look at each individual image to see if it's corrupted.

After reading another thread here it seems that after several attemps, it goes into automatic assembly mode. There must be a way to set Newsbin to not assemble the images if they are not complete, right? But I can't seem to find anything like that. How can I set it to either not assemble the incomplete images or at least put them elsewhere so they're not mixed in with the good files?
aesopp
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Incomplete files are getting assembled anyways

Postby Quade » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:17 pm

Try turning up the retrys. Make it 10 or so, that should stall them for a good long time. 10 retrys will also stall out assembly of large files with errors too though. It's a balancing act.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby aesopp » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:03 am

Thanks for the reply - so there's no way to actually prevent assembly then? If I set it to say 10, that will stall them longer to give me time to delete them from the list, but if I don't catch them in time, they will still get assembled anyways. I'd like to be able to walk away and know that it won't assemble lots of corrupted files that get mixed up with the good files. I can't believe there isn't a way to prevent automatic assembly. If not, then I have to babysit the program so I can delete files as they are stuck in the list before they are assembled.

There's really no option like "do not assemble incomplete files" or "put incomplete files in another directory"? Why aren't these incomplete files just going into the "failed downloads" list?
aesopp
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:52 am

If you set the number large enough, it'll be like turning off assembly. I think 100 would make them sit there all day retrying.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby aesopp » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:28 am

It's not working that way. I tried setting it to 300 - it sits there for about a minute, and then just disappears off the list, and appears assembled in the download folder, corrupted.

Also, I'm getting tons, and I mean tons, of incomplete files. I have no idea why but tons of files from multiple posters are coming up as incomplete. In any particular collection of images, say out of 300, 5-30 are incomplete. This can't be right.
aesopp
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:33 am

I'll have to check then. This behavior was new for 6.30B2

Looking the code over it should be working. What you're describing is how 6.30B1 and earlier (6.2X) did it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support