Problem with restarting News (duplicate malfunction on res?)

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Problem with restarting News (duplicate malfunction on res?)

Postby farmwald » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:34 pm

I'm using Newsbin 6.20 (and just switched to Newsbin 6.30b2 - same problem).

If I exit Newsbin halfway through a download, and then restart Newsbin I get problems. Newsbin detects the parts already downloaded as duplicates and "fails" the entire download (including the not-yet-downloaded parts), which moves it to the "Failed Downloads" tab.

If I move the not-yet-downloaded parts back to the download list, everthing just repeats - *all* of the parts are moved back (including the already-downloaded parts) & duplicates are detected, but this time it tries to download the already-downloaded parts a second time!

I finally found that I could manually pause the already downloaded parts, and then let the not-yet-downloaded parts finish.

I'm sure this behavior isn't what was intended. Is there a switch setting or something else I'm doing wrong?
farmwald
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Problem with restarting News (duplicate malfunction on r

Postby Quade » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:43 pm

I can look at it. If you pause when you start, Select the files and hit "Ctrl-Y" you can force them through or disable the duplicate checker.

Most people don't want to wait till the end of the download to check duplicate state so, it checks at the earliest opportunity. Restarting is problematic.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Problem with restarting News (duplicate malfunction on r

Postby farmwald » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:19 am

I can live with the current behavior, now that I know what to do.

It would be nice if it "did the right thing" and automatically recovered from restarts. I suspect you would have to either check for existing downloads/files before/during duplicate checking and restore the download state correctly. Alternatively I suppose you could leave a file with the state of each partially downloaded file. Either way, it does sound nontrivial.
farmwald
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support