moving to a new system with SSD

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

moving to a new system with SSD

Postby markeh » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:55 am

OK - a new PC, not yet fully put together. I need guidance on moving Newsbin and all associated stuff.

BUT - this system is configured differently than my old one. New one has Win7 (64bit), Intel 6-core, and a 120GB solid state drive for the C: drive The SSD is small, but should have more than enough room for Windows and (I hope) other things that directly affect performance.

So - In addition to the regular issues with a move, I need to understand if there is a way to partition Newsbin so any (small) parts that significantly effect performance can live on the C drive, and everything else on one of the other, slower drives.

Currently (old system) files in
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\NewsBin look like this:

SPOOL_V1 3.5GB
SPOOL_V6 2.51GB
Spool 1.02GB

Newsbin itself is currently on the C drive, but I think it will need to live somewhere else on the new system.

Actual downloads are stored on another drive, as they presumably will be on the new system.

Any guidance would be appreciated....

markeh
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/22/04

Re: moving to a new system with SSD

Postby DThor » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:26 am

You don't indicate whether or not you've read this :

http://help.newsbin.com/index.php/V550- ... r_computer

but that's all you need to know as far as the fiddly bits. As far as what gets put on the ssd or not, I suspect the data folder is a good candidate, however keep in mind this can get huge depending on whether or not you're a spool downloader vs an nzb user, so it might chew up too much of your precious ssd space. Spool processing is arguably the biggest io hit overall from newsbin, but if you deal with a lot of spool, the vast majority of that data just sits there most of the time. It's the curse of users that are trying to mimic terabyte server farms on a desktop. FWIW, the volume you've indicated there is very light compared to most spool users, so you should see a huge header processing speedup if you go ssd here, if you can handle the space hit. The download folder is another possibility, but I suspect a more efficient use of the space would be to have the download folder on a regular drive but set the unrar folder to a custom location on the ssd. You can set that in options/Autopar options.

Btw, you only need spool_v1 if you're using v5 of newsbin. V6 uses spool_v6. I'm guessing 'spool' is an ancient newsbin data folder.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Re: moving to a new system with SSD

Postby markeh » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:31 pm

DThor wrote:You don't indicate whether or not you've read this :

http://help.newsbin.com/index.php/V550- ... r_computer

I had not, but thanks... exactly what I needed.

DThor wrote:Btw, you only need spool_v1 if you're using v5 of newsbin. V6 uses spool_v6. I'm guessing 'spool' is an ancient newsbin data folder.

DT

Exactly what I was hoping for. I think the older one was saved during an automatic upgrade. Deleting the old files saves significant space.

SSDs are still pretty expensive. Moving up to the next storage size was a lot more $$$.

markeh
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/22/04

Return to V6 Technical Support