6.3B - still a problem using Astraweb w Giganews

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

6.3B - still a problem using Astraweb w Giganews

Postby Arbie » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:25 am

Under WinXP Pro. Problems continue (now with NBP 6.30B2 b1695) where downloads stall on Astraweb (master server) when the files are not found on GN (slave & fill server). Anyway, if I download the problem RAR parts from Astraweb using Grabit, all goes well. NBP won't continue with or retry these parts no matter what.

Thx

Arbie
Arbie
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/19/07

Re: 6.3B - still a problem using Astraweb w Giganews

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:28 pm

6.3B2 does do retries and you can set how many it does too. So, I'm not completely clear what you mean.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Arbie » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:34 am

I didn't mean to refer to the settable retry count, sorry. What I meant was that after a stall I can't get it to keep trying / proceed. Sometimes, shutting it down and restarting will get it to continue for a while, then it stalls again.

Even when there are no stalls or I get through them, here are some typical symptoms of an AW=master / GN= slave-fill issue: A download is attempted. Most of it is found on Astraweb but almost every part needs some fills; these are found on Giganews. I can see this happening from the two different server colors appearing in the download bars (when I expand the package to see its individual parts). Finally, all parts show complete eg 50,829KB/50,829KB. However, it then seems like the fills from GN disappear. The spots representing them in the download bars all turn white briefly. Then, sure enough, all the parts where fills were needed turn out to be broken when I run Quickpar. The same thing happens if I let NBP run Autopar, but then I can's see what's happening so well. Often there are not enough PARs to repair the whole thing.

This just happened on another download tonight.
Arbie
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/19/07

Postby Quade » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:58 am

The spots representing them in the download bars all turn white briefly.

Turning back white means they're being retried. What then? Do they turn a server color or turn red? What happens if you disable AW and just use Giga for the problem files? You might want to delete the broken ones from disk before you try this.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support