deleted posts don't stay deleted

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

deleted posts don't stay deleted

Postby x509 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:57 am

For this large group (that I mentioned in my last message), I would load up all posts in a date range, (so my system didn't take forever to display posts). Then I would pick out a few and delete the rest.

Only problem is, a lot of those deleted posts didn't stay deleted. If I redo a load operation, same date range, a lot of those posts reappear! Is this a bug? Is there a workaround?

Thanks.
x509
n00b
n00b

Re: deleted posts don't stay deleted

Postby DThor » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:38 am

It's hard to say on the information given, but odds are it's not a bug since lots of users are deleting spool without problems. First question would be how certain are you that these are the same posts? Same poster/date/group? Secondly, it can take some time if you're talking about very large groups and/or slightly wheezy machines. Best thing to do is start small - can you repro this problem with a small group? Delete some recognizable posts, wait for io to finish, restart newsbin and load. Odds are it's just needing more time.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:54 am

It does take significant time to delete large numbers of posts. Then again, it really might be broken. I do believe there is some threshold where it becomes less reliable to delete. Some count where it gets confused. I'll check it out again.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mimauk » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:28 am

Quade wrote: I do believe there is some threshold where it becomes less reliable to delete. Some count where it gets confused. I'll check it out again.

From my experience it's if you try to delete10,000+ posts in the list.

If there are 12,000 posts from a spammer and you right click and hit delete all posts from poster then all the posts get deleted but you are left with 12,000 lines saying deleted. I get round it by highlighting a few thousand and press 'shift+delete' - do this a couple of times and then you can right click and hit the 'delete all posts from poster' and it clears them all. I know it clears 6000+ posts , I've not tried a higher count. hth
mimauk
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/29/06

Postby x509 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:08 pm

DThor wrote:It's hard to say on the information given, but odds are it's not a bug since lots of users are deleting spool without problems. First question would be how certain are you that these are the same posts?

Actually I'm not. It was my impression. I'll try to reproduce the problem.

Same poster/date/group? Secondly, it can take some time if you're talking about very large groups and/or slightly wheezy machines. Best thing to do is start small - can you repro this problem with a small group? Delete some recognizable posts, wait for io to finish, restart newsbin and load. Odds are it's just needing more time.

DT

Thanks. I'll follow your suggestion to start small. I am talking about very large groups, millions of posts, although my machine isn't "wheezy." It's not just a super-bleeding edge system. I'm going to build that system "real soon now." Water-cooled, overclocked, the works. Image link not allowed for unregistered users
x509
n00b
n00b

Postby x509 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:10 pm

mimauk wrote:
Quade wrote: I do believe there is some threshold where it becomes less reliable to delete. Some count where it gets confused. I'll check it out again.

From my experience it's if you try to delete10,000+ posts in the list.

If there are 12,000 posts from a spammer and you right click and hit delete all posts from poster then all the posts get deleted but you are left with 12,000 lines saying deleted. I get round it by highlighting a few thousand and press 'shift+delete' - do this a couple of times and then you can right click and hit the 'delete all posts from poster' and it clears them all. I know it clears 6000+ posts , I've not tried a higher count. hth

I think I could apply this, if I display only posts that were filtered.

It would be nice if we had an option to purge a newsgroup of posts that were filtered out, a one-click solution.
x509
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support